Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 8months waiting, I picked up the KIA from Westdrive in Braintree yesterday, drove it back to Manchester and parked it on the drive...so chuffed!

In the morning I notice patches of moisture on the drive all under the car (front/sides/back), I put it down to morning dew dripping off the car.

On arrival back from work, I notice the moist patche are still on the drive....my heart sinks.

I pop the bonnet and have a look; there is engine oil everywhere. The oil filler cap is wedged down by sone air con pipes, not a drop of oil on it! It's never been put on in the factory.

Words could not descibe my response!

Paul

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
PDI certainly wasn't carried out to the letter. Someone needs shot for that. Absolutely disgraceful.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have been good really. They have arranged recovery from my home in Manchester back to them in Essex and arranged a hire car.
The manager sounded rather embarrassed. During a later conversation with him he stated that he checked the PDI record and it had been done, however there is only a visual check done of the engine bay. I accepted that although the cap is not really visible from the front when the car is slightly raised, I told them that oil will have been splattered during the 7 miles it covered prior to my collection; this should have been spotted and the problem investigated.

He seems confident he will be able to pin the blame on the factory. He said they would do diagnostics to check for damage. I politly explained that no computer will be able to check the condition of the bearings/shells, or tell us if any foreign matter has entered the engine via the gaping hole!

I've told himI will not be accepting this car back, I willonly accept a replacement; for the following reasons:

1) The car was not 'fit for purpose' on delivery.
2)They will not be able to100% guarantee that nodamage has been done.
2)The engine bay is a total mess,itcan never be returned to the condition it should be.

Begrudgingly, the battle commences.

Not the start to Sportage ownership I was hoping for

Paul

Edited by: Arctic Paul

·
Registered
290 Posts
That is bad news after waiting so long but stick by your guns as that car would never seem the same even if there was nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gutted for you - really sorry to hear that - will also check mine when collected

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers chaps.

It's a first for me, i've never heard of this happening. I suppose there's a first time for anything, and it usually happens to me!!

I'll update with the dealer's proposal on Mon.

Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh no Paul, I am so sorry to hear that. After all that time of waiting. Make sure you stick to your guns and get a replacement. What did the dealer say when you told him you would not be accepting it back?
Abi

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He said that he understood; once he's back in possession of the car and the evidence has been documented, we would be in a position to begin discussions.

I have sent him an email confirming in writing that I will accept nothing but a replacement car. Then we will discuss the damage to my driveway and other compensation for the inconvenience.

I have to say, at this stage he has been nothing but apologetic and helpful. We'll see if he remains the same when the negotiations begin and I show him my stubborn side.

PaulEdited by: Arctic Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
Paul mate. Gutted for you. I can't believe it. That's the kind of thing that normally happens to me. Crazy as we have cars probably made same week or so. Stick it out and get what you deserve mate

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine arrived at the dealer at the same time as yours mate, I just chose to wait till 1st Sept. Ours will have been made and shipped at the same time, however the chap in charge of filling the fluids had had one too many vodkas when he reached mine!!
I checked the oil level before it was loaded onto the recovery truck, it was only half way between Max & Min so its only lost about 3/4 of a litre...it looks alot more when sprayed around the engine bay and on the driveway. My only concern is the grit stuck to the oil covered bulk head; has any grit got into the engine via the oil filler?

I loved the car for the 200 and odd miles I had in it, it was a sorry sight seeing it on the back of a recovery truck after 2 days. Even the RAC chap kept shaking his head at the thought of the filler cap never being put on the car whilst he was loading it.

On a positive note, the KIA assist service is excellent should you ever need it!!

Paul

·
Registered
911 Posts
I don't think they can argue with a replacement Paul, if only to keep face

·
Registered
543 Posts
Oh paul :( sorry to hear about the bad news I've only seen engine dipsticks left out before with similar effects :( that's bad I would decently hold until they give you a new one the engine damage could be pricey , when I always you to check engines over in a garage were several checks before starting and handing over to customer oil dipstick cap fastened brake fluid coolant and power steering fluid and screen wash was the most important think to do .
sorry to hear about yours Paul hope you get a new one soon

·
Registered
97 Posts
Really sorry to hear about this fella,

Will be checking for that on mine when i go to pick it up!!

Fingers crossed they check it over and give it a clean bill of health, i'd hate to have to wait for another to be built and shipped over!

i wouldnt have thought any engine damage would have happened. But like anything there will always be that nagging doubt if any contaminent made its way in though!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unbelievable. Sorry to hear - so annoying when this should be the time for enjoying the new cair.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts