Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at getting at GT line for the wife. (Good swap!)
I am confused about buying the 1.0 Turbo or the 1.25. They are practically the same price, same mpg and same emissions.
Also looking at the 3
Can anyone convince me which one to get and why.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A lot depends on the usage pattern of your wife..maybe I could word that a bit different....your wife’s intended usage pattern :)

If she will be using it chiefly in town, maybe just the odd trip further afield, then the 1.25 would probably suit. If longer distance journeys/motorway use etc then the turbo might be bettered suited. Also if you have some nice windy roads in your area and your wife is an ‘enthusiastic’ driver :devilish: She may prefer the extra ‘punch’ of the turbo.

Best advice really to give is to let her test drive both (unless it’s a :censored: surprise purchase of course)

·
Registered
268 Posts
My turbo manual uses less fuel and goes better than out 1.25 auto. I dont do city driving and all open road but hilly and twisty!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am looking at getting at GT line for the wife. (Good swap!)
I am confused about buying the 1.0 Turbo or the 1.25. They are practically the same price, same mpg and same emissions.
Also looking at the 3
Can anyone convince me which one to get and why.
If its the looks of the GT line she wants then id say get the turbo, but remember the ride is harsh on most uk A class roads where i personally think it felt like driving over a pebble felt like there was a boulder under the wheel, but i still think the GT line was a brill car,
If she will want a bit more comfort get a 3 model with smaller alloys not 16" and you will have the comfort and all the toys, the 1.25 engine i had in my GT line and it was ample fast enough.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a GT line S 1.25 manual
I took both for long test drives and much preferred it to the 1 litre turbo, which felt really highly strung and (to me) sounded awful. I really fear for the longevity of these tiny turbo'd engines.

My advice. Drive them both and get the one you like the best!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I took both for long test drives and much preferred it to the 1 litre turbo, which felt really highly strung and (to me) sounded awful. I really fear for the longevity of these tiny turbo'd engines.
Hmmmmm, 7 years warranty is a really good start to reduce your worry!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hmmmmm, 7 years warranty is a really good start to reduce your worry!
Hehe. Lets see how good the 7 year warranty is when it comes down to Clutches and Turbos !!! ;-)

Where’s my can opener....I think I might go fishing 👀
You'll need to get a bigger boat. lol. 🙃

Joking aside, one man's meat is another mans poison and all that. Personally I dont like the 1 litre turbo, but as I've said earlier, "you pays your money and you takes your choice."...and I'm glad we HAVE a choice!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hehe. Lets see how good the 7 year warranty is when it comes down to Clutches and Turbos !!! ;-)

You'll need to get a bigger boat. lol. 🙃

Joking aside, one man's meat is another mans poison and all that. Personally I dont like the 1 litre turbo, but as I've said earlier, "you pays your money and you takes your choice."...and I'm glad we HAVE a choice!
or even Poisson ;)

A good article here on small turbos which contains some interesting points on how to look after them

Truth about small capacity turbos

I can also recall reading last year that Kia have engineered their current turbos in such a way that mitigates the problems with the early turbos, which if I can find it again :rolleyes: will put up

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hehe. Lets see how good the 7 year warranty is when it comes down to Clutches and Turbos!
]
Hopefully I wont need it as cant see myself having it for any longer than 5 years and about 60K and any failure in that time will be covered by warranty in our country!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Even with longevity issues aside, for me, I just don't like the sound or feel of the 3 cylinder engine - it's too rattly and stressed. It sounds like an angry wasp trying to escape out of a biscuit tin. lol
The 4 cylinder engine in the 1.25 is much smoother and feels much more relaxing to drive.
It would be boring if we all had the same opinions.(y)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Totally agree with your last line lofty

Lot depends on how many miles are on the engine as well. If your test drive was in a turbo that only had a few miles on it then yes can understand your impression of the engine. I felt the same way with 17 miles on the clock. Now up to 200 and she’s already feeling, and sounding, a lot sweeter

·
Registered
51 Posts
Id say it depends on intended use for city local use the ! litre but motorway runs probably the 4 pot 1.25 so on that Id go for the former I love the thrummy sound of a 3 cylinder my old Mitsubishi was ahead of its time with a turbine smooth 3 cylinder before they became so popular

d go for I

·
Registered
268 Posts
Totally agree with your last line lofty

Lot depends on how many miles are on the engine as well. If your test drive was in a turbo that only had a few miles on it then yes can understand your impression of the engine. I felt the same way with 17 miles on the clock. Now up to 200 and she’s already feeling, and sounding, a lot sweeter
It still doesn't change the noise after a year!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the responses. We have now ordered the 1.25 GT Line.
I think a male might prefer the racy feel of the 1.0 but my wife drives like Miss Daisy so the larger engine will mean less gear changes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts