Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else found the paint on the GT in Fusion White to be softer than butter on a warm summers day

I've had my GT just about a month now, and I have several stone chips already!

Yes, I am driving the car enthusiastically, but no more so than my GT86 which after 18 months has just a couple of stone chips.

I think this is the problem with white they stick out like a sore thumb as the plastic under the paint is black.

To make matters worse I've had no luck finding a touch up pen for Fusion White

·
Registered
13 Posts
I find it extremely concerning that Kia don't offer a touch up paint for fusion white, did they give a reason when you asked? As for paint chips being more prominent the fact that manfacturers have to use water based paints rather than oil based makes them a lot softer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
White paint on any car is a nightmare when it comes to chips and cracks. My mum had a Nissan Juke in white, and a stone flew up and hit the wing mirror - instant and very noticeable crack. Same story with my sister and her Mazda RX8 and my Brother-In-Law and his BMW X5 M.

The reason why Kia wont offer touch-up for the GT's metallic white is because its metallic. Touch-up paints are for flat colours, not metallic and pearlescent. It would stick out like a sore thumb and look like you drew on your car with Tip-Ex.

I had a scratch on my A-Pillar, and it was quickly rectified with some resin Polish (AutoGlym, specifically.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well on previous metallic cars I have managed to get a touch up kit via the dealer, it doesn't necessarily hide it as well as other paints but does the job of hiding the primer and protecting the body.

On searching the net the only thing I could see was maybe something from these guys?
http://www.cartouchupkits.co.uk

Edited by: Jason-118

·
Registered
453 Posts
benanderson89 said:
The reason why Kia wont offer touch-up for the GT's metallic white is because its metallic. Touch-up paints are for flat colours, not metallic and pearlescent.
Really.

Our Ceed is Silver metallic and Kia supplied us with a touch up kit, cost £6.00

The Micra we had before it was Silver pearlescent, Nissan did a touch up for that.

Over the years we have also had red and blue metallic for which touch ups were available.

To be honest not matched perfectly when you were close up but all have been Ok from a few feet way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's annoying, Kia just simply don't do a fusion white touch up as confirmed by dealer

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, i tend to agree
and as you say i can also confirm as of 05/04/14 after a conversation on the same topic Kia dealership doesnt offer a fusion white touch up

bit stupid imo

·
Registered
192 Posts
Another Kia said:
benanderson89 said:
The reason why Kia wont offer touch-up for the GT's metallic white is because its metallic. Touch-up paints are for flat colours, not metallic and pearlescent.
Really.

Our Ceed is Silver metallic and Kia supplied us with a touch up kit, cost £6.00

The Micra we had before it was Silver pearlescent, Nissan did a touch up for that.

Over the years we have also had red and blue metallic for which touch ups were available.

To be honest not matched perfectly when you were close up but all have been Ok from a few feet way.

For deep scratches they wont match very well.
If its a shallow scratch, like the top coat, some resin polish will do.
Maybe I've just been applying it wrong. :B

Edited by: benanderson89

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's the same with my silver pro_ceed the bonnet, bumper and wings are full of so many chips after 6 months. Come 2 years it's going to need a respray.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The black metallic paint on my last car (Seat Ibiza FR) was a nightmare! Paint very soft, very thinly applied and extremely prone to chips and scratches. I know black cars do show imperfections more than most colours, but this black paint was still woeful even considering this.

So far the Infra Red metallic paint on my Pro_Cee'd seems pretty good, only a couple of stone chips showing so far. Appears to hide the dirt reasonably well too! lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've managed to get some hyundai touch up paint, same colour code.. I'll do a test swatch first and compare before I use it on the car.

The thing that makes the chips so noticeable is the bumper is black under the paint.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi there, I have the same car in the same colour and yes same issue. I've only had the car a few weeks and a number of stone chips have appeared. Maybe this is to be expected but I drove a VW for years and maybe I had three if I looked really hard. Also when you look closer you can almost peel the paint off where it has chipped. You are right it is very soft and butter like.

·
35 Posts
Hi There,

I too have some stone chips appearing and wondered if you managed to test the Hyundai paint and if it was indeed a match.

If so could you provide us with the paint code.

Many Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, I've got the hyundai paint but not tried it yet as my dealer tells me an official kia touch up will be available soon

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have the gtFusion White and i have been using my dads lexus withe touch up pen it is not a bad match so if you want to try that by all means

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old post, but just bought a pro ceed gt and its got a fair few chips
, what have people been using or whats available from Kia.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Using the paint code my Kia Dealers bodyshop has mixed two small pots of fusion white paint for me, one the base coat and the other the top coat. Well worth visiting your local bodyshop and see if they will mix you some paint using the paintcode. Matches the existing paint well and covers those awful chips we all get however careful we drive.

Edited by: dmrodgers

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
am91 said:
... what have people been using or whats available from Kia.
You can also order the usual touch-up pens from any Kia dealer.
Mine (just the one pen as a solid colour) cost about £10.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts