Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post so.. Hello!
I'm looking at purchasing at the lower end of the GT market and have found a 2013 model locally with 95k on the clock.
It's got a service history and looks and sounds good for its age and mileage. In the last few years it's had a clutch and a whistling turbo reconditioned as well as plenty of smaller jobs.
I've enjoyed reading various threads on here and found lots of useful information, but wanted to know if there are any specific things I should be aware of on a GT of this age and mileage?
Are there any owners of early, higher mileage here with good or bad experiences?

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
975 Posts
Hi Collie, welcome to the forum.

A clutch at under 95k is perhaps to be expected while a reconditioned turbo is perhaps less expected. The problems I've read of on here poor idling, failing to boost properly, er... not much else I can recall. The only problems on my 2014 have been a failed battery, two (yes two!) failed sensors for keyless entry to the hatch and a broken hatch switch (it worked but was hanging out on its wires).

At that age and mileage you might need an aircon regas, and the battery may be on its last legs if it is the original one. Apart from that, it's all the usual checks; grumbling wheel bearings, sloppy or stiff gearbox, emulsion on the oil filler, etc.

I'd suggest you check the MoT history, you might get pointers as to how it has been looked after, and walk away if it has had more than three owners! It's a sporty turbocharged hatch so look for any obvious signs of abuse; sadly you are unlikely to spot if it has ever been remapped or had a tuning box fitted. Hopefully, that reconditioned turbo isn't the sign of something serious...

Good luck in your search. There aren't too many about!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info, and yes... few and far between aren't they?!
The turbo was done nearly 12 months ago, apparently because it developed a slight whistle that annoyed the owner (gent in his 50's). He's had it just over two years and likes the car but wants to swap it for something more economical as he does around 35 miles commuting per day.
MOT history shows the odd fail for tyres and once for worn brakes, but its never had many if any advisories.
To be honest the car was a lot nicer than I expected for age/mileage/price and does have a nice pile of receipts for work done.
I'm going for another look and test drive over the weekend and will decide then, but if I don't find any serious red flags I might take punt and relive my youth in a Hot(ish) Hatch.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Well that sounds good, '...a gent in his 50s...' could be me!

I should perhaps point out this thread I have just replied to. Not to worry you, of course...

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...... I am now the owner of a GT.
The second viewing didn't throw up any concerns and the test drive was a very pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting the car to feel as composed and 'tight' as it did.
I've spent this afternoon giving it a good going over and its come up quite well. The body work has plenty of little imperfections which I guess reflect its age and mileage but overall it looks good. The interior is really clean and is a credit to its former keepers and the general build quality.
I think everything works as it should which is a nice surprise.
I'm going to get it booked in for an oil and filter change and probably get the rear discs and pads done too as they are looking a little tired and were the only advisory when the previous owner put it through its MOT this week, the front ones were changed prior to the test.

Here she is....

·
Registered
975 Posts
Very pleased for you matey, welcome to the club!

Reactions: Collie
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.