Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My Optima GTline s has the auto hold feature. Just recently when using the auto hold, after touching the accelerator the auto hold disengages ok but there is a groaning noise coming from underneath the dashboard/bulkhead. Has anybody had this?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
there is a groaning noise coming from underneath the dashboard/bulkhead. Has anybody had this?
I can't say that I have experienced that but I'm sure if you book it in to your friendly KIA dealer, they will remedy the matter, probably with a little judiciously applied lubrication. Moreover, anything more serious will be attended to as the system is not supposed to make noises!

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi all,
My Optima GTline s has the auto hold feature. Just recently when using the auto hold, after touching the accelerator the auto hold disengages ok but there is a groaning noise coming from underneath the dashboard/bulkhead. Has anybody had this?
Does it happen all the time?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi, I had the exact same issue a while back so I had my local Kia garage look at it. The mechanic checked it out and said it was not a mechanical fault but a unavoidable side effect from, I think, brake wear. This was a while ago so I'm afraid I can't recall his exact explanation but I did leave the garage happy that I wasn't having the wool pulled over my eyes.

This issue lastest maybe 2 months then one day just disappeared and its been fine ever since.

If you google your symptoms you'll find plenty of other people who experience this issue across all makes of car, so I'm certain its not a Kia flaw.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mine makes a verybrief slight groaning noise when you touch the throttle. I had the pads and discs replaced recently and it disappeared completely, and has gradually started coming back as the pads wear. It's done this for over 70k now. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I can see why wear could possibly cause this sound.

When the piston is all the way in the calliper you have maximum surface area of contact between piston and bore of calliper.

With new pads and disk the piston is say third of its length out against the pad.

As the pads and disk wear the piston comes out halfway or more, once past halfway the surface area between piston and bore of calliper is a lot less than new, so the sound may be a judder caused by sideways movement between piston and calliper pot bore, there must be a working clearance from new, and this clearance may increase with wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts