Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to mount my GPS unit in the large circular knick-knack holder in the centre of the dash board (is this where a large speaker is mounted on some models?). Is it possible to drill a hole in the base of this dish to run the power cable down to access the cigarette lighter power socket? If so, is there an easy route?
Many thanks, Steve

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
what you want to do is relatively easy. The hard bit is gonna be getting the dashboard apart without damaging it so you can drill in safety. Have a look on the USA forum for pictures showing their dashboards in bits for when they do the stereos.

·
Registered
35 Posts
At the bottom of the centre dash trim (just in front of the gear stick is a small slot that you need to slide a screwdriver in to and pull upwards to unclip the trim.
It takes a lot of pulling mind so dont be affraid to give it a good yank. (Do not twist or you will damage the trim).
This will remove the trim and the small sunglasses box.
Once it has been removed (unplug the warning lights switch connector) it should give access to the top trim/tray which again you can now remove to allow neat drilling.
You can unscrew the stereo and the fan control module to get access to the back of the aux power connector.
You can also get access by sticking your finger in the aux power socket (with the power off) and pulling forward. It doesnt take much pulling to unclip the whole socket section (power, USB, jackplug)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't be scared to pull on the surround trim. It is well clipped, but it wont break. If you have plastic trim tools, you can slide them around the trim to help you pull.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much, all of you. I love these fora where one can get such excellent assistance and advice!
Happy motoring all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YES! Success - it looks very good without wires trailing all over the dashboard! Thanks again for all the advice.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts