Kia Owners Club Forum banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Update: I have had the lights on 2 days on the run now and after swapping over and moving the ballast even deeper into the headlight binnacle there has been no repeat of the passenger side headlight switching off.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
artscot79 said:
Tested on the ford forum just wait till the fan packs in and they go on fire
Not the same ones.these don't have a fan.also have a over heat protection which is set very low.so your wrong on all accounts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Merlin: did you manage to get the rear cover back on with yours?

The ones i have on my old polo have no fan or driver and im looking at the same company to get a set for the sportage.

Edited by: Cymro1924

·
Registered
716 Posts
Cymro1924 said:
Merlin: did you manage to get the rear cover back on with yours?

The ones i have on my old polo have no fan or driver and im looking at the same company to get a set for the sportage.
No issues with replacing the rear cover.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
had my first real long drive in the dark last night 3 hours.only one word to say about my led head lamp bulbs "AWESOME"And not one car flashing me so that says the light pattern is spot on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello everyone ,Newbie here and really interested in the LED light upgrade that Learoy and MerlinL14 put in their sportages. They sound like exactly what I'm looking for . I would really appreciate it if you guys could send me the link for buying them . Are you still content with them , no further problems (overheating , beam pattern , etc ?). Also am I right in saying I can put on the rear screwable plastic dust cap on with these? I currently have HB3 whitevision and they are terrible.
Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone.
I have a Sportage 1.6d 48V hybrid and the daytime running lights are with halogen bulbs P21/5W.

I want to replace them with led bulbs, but there is the canbus system that shows an error.

Does anyone know if there are reliable led bulbs to cover the error indication?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,587 Posts
Hello everyone.
Does anyone know if there are reliable led bulbs to cover the error indication?
Thanks.
Short answer is NO - you should not be replacing filament bulbs with LEDs if you want to remain within the LAW and not risk failing a future MOT.
Longer answer lots of listings, claiming to be CanBus compatible, if you Google led replacement for P21/5W with wide range of prices - check the descriptions to make sure that it does not say Not Road Legal

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
522 Posts
Not only will they be illegal and should fail an MOT, but they can also invalidate your insurance.
Have an accident with your lights on, have someone say your lights dazzled them, pound to a penny the insurance assessor will look closely at your lights - if they find LED bulbs in a halogen housing (which is a direct contravention of the law) their next step will be to void your policy and leave you to settle yourself.

I know someone this happened to! It's a sobering experience particularly when injuries are involved....

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,418 Posts
As the MOT testing guidance stands in October 2021
'You must inspect all ‘mandatory’ headlamps fitted.'

'The colour of the light headlamps emit must be one of the following:

• white
  • predominantly white with blue tinge
  • yellow'
'Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.' (Major)

'You can identify HID headlamps from:
  • ‘DCR’ mark on the headlamp lens or body
  • an igniter module or inverter behind the headlamp
  • taking a few seconds to reach full intensity
  • a bluish tinge to the light'
So the old argument that the tester does not have to check the type of bulb is now gone. The tester must inspect. The law is clamping down on dazzling these days.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.