Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to put a new set of glow plugs in yesterday they all came out easily but one of them had a broken tip which is still in the chamber about an inch long i tried the coca cola trick dident even move it ive no idea how long this has been like this but my question is could i leave it as it is ? if the tip is stuck fast in the chamber hopefully it will stay there i have put the broken plug back in the car is driving ok and cold starting aswell .
Wood Writing implement Tints and shades Natural material Electric blue
Wood Writing implement Tints and shades Natural material Electric blue

·
Registered
387 Posts
you could chance it, but if the tip goes into the cylinder it could seriously damage the engine. its going to need to come out eventually , starting is going to get harder as the cold weather comes. i would try soaking with a carbon cleaner over night and then attempt to move it again.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you could chance it, but if the tip goes into the cylinder it could seriously damage the engine. its going to need to come out eventually , starting is going to get harder as the cold weather comes. i would try soaking with a carbon cleaner over night and then attempt to move it again.
How do you suggest I get it out ? I tried coke and vinegar didn’t help at all

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
How long did you leave the coke, usually takes a good 48 hours or more.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi this is the stuff i use PB BLASTER POWERFUL RUST PENETRATING FLUID used it on loads of tight jobs and always does the trick got mine off ebay

·
Registered
215 Posts
Picture might help, as it's not clear where it's broken.
Plenty of videos on YouTube for extracting 'broken glow plug", worth a view for ideas.
Most use special tools, or weld on a bolt.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know yours is a 2009 but even so, 12 years old, that's a lot of money to spend on it?
Yes I know I would try the coke trick again my concern is instead of the tip blowing out it may get sucked in you can buy extraction kits but if it goes wrong it could cost more than £500 so not sure which way to go at the moment!

·
Registered
215 Posts
500 is steep. If it falls in you could remove the injector, and fish it out with a magnet pickup tool.

Or leave a large neodymium magnet hanging above, and add the coke. Never tried this.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
500 is steep. If it falls in you could remove the injector, and fish it out with a magnet pickup tool.

Or leave a large neodymium magnet hanging above, and add the coke. Never tried this.
The broken tip on the plug is not magnetic I tried a magnet on that already

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well just a wild guess but could you rig up some small tube with suction to get it?
When I took the plug out I tried a long wood screw which screwed in I then tried to pull the tip out and the screw pulled out so it’s very tight so I don’t think it would suck out !

·
Registered
215 Posts
Long solid Copper wire loop/noose over broken end. Flat blade holding it down. Twist wire ends tight with pliers in an attempt to secure it then pull up.

If it slips then try your long screw method to taper out the broken head.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Long solid Copper wire loop/noose over broken end. Flat blade holding it down. Twist wire ends tight with pliers in an attempt to secure it then pull up.

If it slips then try your long screw method to taper out the broken head.
It’s the tip that is in the head and it has broken flush down in the hole so can’t really get to it to wrap a wire round it unless you meant to put a screw in and wrap wire around the screw head ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
It’s the tip that is in the head and it has broken flush down in the hole so can’t really get to it to wrap a wire round it unless you meant to put a screw in and wrap wire around the screw head ?
Ok didn't realise it's broken flush.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm thinking that with the engine running, the compression stroke is going to shoot the broken tip out?...I would think there is little chance of it going into the combustion chamber?...is there a way to determine how much of the tip protrudes into the combustion chamber and how long a bit is in the head?..maybe keep squirting penetrating fluid down the hole ,and when it gets hot, stand clear, but I suspect the bit that's left is carboned up?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Open the injector. Bring piston bottom dead centre.
Hit the glow plug with a suitable size Allen key and hammer it down into combustion chamber.
It's not magnetic, so fish it out using a usb keyhole camera and a 3 claw spring grabber via injector hole. Blow the remaining crud out with compressed air or hoover.
Use new injector washer seals on tightening up.

I can't see it budging out on compression alone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts