Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glow Plug Replacement on 2005 Kia Sportage 2.0l crdi
1. Remove plastic engine cover (4 bolts 10mm socket) to gain access to the rear of the engine
2. Remove air filter housing to gain access to the right and rear of the engine block
3. Locate the EGR valve and cooler at the rear of the engine block (above the exhaust manifold). This needs to be removed by undoing the two nuts on the EGR flange (13mm) and the 2 bolts on the cooler flange (10mm), also need to remove the small vacuum pipe from the top of the EGR valve and the 2 coolant hoses on the cooler – you will lose about a pint of coolant. Take care not to lose or damage the 2 gaskets that may be attached to the flanges.
4. With a mirror or camera you should be able to see the ends of the glow plugs sticking out of the back of the engine block. They are connected electrically by a busbar which is bolted with a small nut (10mm on the old plug, 8 on the replacement) on to the threaded end of the glow plug. Remove these 4 nuts and the busbar.
5. Remove each glow plug with a deep 10mm socket (similar to spark plug socket). The one nearest the air filter is a bit tricky to get to unless you also loosen the corrugated elbow that connects t the end of the EGR and cooler unit (2 x 10mm nuts) to allow it to move slightly out of the way.
6. You can do a rudimentary test of each glow plug with a multimeter. It should have a resistance of less than 2.5 ohms, apparently.
7. Re-assembly is a reverse sequence – don’t forget to top up the coolant.

See pics, which show:
- 2 views of the back of the engine before removing the EGR and cooler. Note the black busbar.
- EGR and Cooler unit - note the 2 flanges, 2 coolant pipes and small vacuum pipe connections.
- Back of engine with EGR and cooler removed

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was surprisingly easy. I have this nice little professional 1/4 inch socket set from halfords with only a 5 inch ratchet and it was fine. The thread is quite long but it is dry and not corroded. It squeaks a bit! Chose not to use wd40.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I managed to remove all 4 glow plugs, after using WD40 the day before and again today. The make is Beru, whereas i thought they would have been Bosch. I am looking at buying 4 new ones - should i stick to Beru or go for Bosch or NGK which are significantly cheaper. Does it make a difference? Thanks

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
5. Remove each glow plug with a deep 10mm socket (similar to spark plug socket). The one nearest the air filter is a bit tricky to get to unless you also loosen the corrugated elbow that connects t the end of the EGR and cooler unit (2 x 10mm nuts) to allow it to move slightly out of the way.
Expect some tinned processed meat product very soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.