Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the glow plugs changed, apparently they were all dead, unfortunately the car still isn't starting very well as the mornings get colder.
I checked the power to the plugs and theres no current so now suspect the relay. Could someone point out which relay I should look at? I took the attached pic, appreciate any advice.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll take another look, it's my daughter's car so every day I'm expecting a call to say it won't start but I don't think the glow plugs have been working for a couple of year but she's managed to start it right through the winter. The garage tested all the glow plugs and they had all failed. Bad luck that now they are fixed there's another problem 😕 I'm sure I can get to the bottom of it 🤞

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You were quite right, I checked at the solenoid and the output was reading earth, there's a short somewhere after the relay. Taking the car back to the garage this evening, they fitted the glow plugs so hopefully they can find the problem 🤞

·
Registered
256 Posts
The resistance will be quite low, as it's effectively 4 resistors in parallel. Resistance of one glow plug divided by 4. Best discon all glow plugs, then measure.

Eg if resistance of one glow plug is 6 ohms. Then the combined resistance of 4 glow plugs in parallel will be 6/4=1.5ohmd

Applying ohms law I=v/r
I=12/1.5 =8 amps current draw for all 4 plugs.
80amp fuse seems excessive for just the glow plugs (if read correctly). Are you sure it's not shared with something else?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I'm going to take it back to the garage that changed the plugs. I suspect a dead short somewhere, doubt it's the new Bosch plugs but I guess they can't be ruled out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last update! I returned the car to the garage and they found a short from the plugs (my daughter collected the car so it's a bit vague!) Anyway, they bent something and cut something which seems to have remedied the problem. The car is now starting easily despite the colder weather 🎉🎉🎉 I'm surprised the battery has survived two winters without working glow plugs 👍

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, if you have a multi meter it's easy to check if there's power from the fuse to the glow plug connector. My daughter's car was just difficult to start in cold weather so it was a pretty easy guess that the glow plugs were faulty. The mechanic checked the plugs out of the car and they were all dead on a 64 plate car with 50k miles so they probably lasted 40k. The plugs are difficult to access as they are at the back of the engine, if they'd been at the front it would have been an easy job.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Is there a simple way to check whether glow plugs work or not?
As Nick replied above - easy to check there is power to the glow plugs with a multimeter.
You can also check if the glow plugs are ok in situ by disconnecting each glow plug and measuring the resistance across each glow plug with a multimeter - they are usually approx 1.0 ohm (might vary with different glow plug makes) I think the last ones I checked were rated as 1.1 ohm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The difficulty is accessing the plugs, they are connected with a thin metal plate so you need to undo all the connectors to be able to remove the connector and check each plug. Kia hasn't made it easy!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yes it is not a nice area to work - I only mentioned it as glow plugs have a tendancy to snap as you try to remove them so I usually like to test them in situ to see if they are ok or identify the problem glow plug(s).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a good point, i was glad to leave that job to an expert! He did say he was used to it so would warm the engine and gently loosen the plugs, fortunately it went ok and none were broken 👍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts