Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow xceeders,
Has anyone else had problems on sunny days where glare from the top of the dashboard reflects onto the windscreen and impairing visibility? The dash board isn’t particularly shiny but shiny enough to reflect sunlight back onto the windscreen. May not be a problem with shorter days on the horizon!

i’m thinking of buying a dashboard cover made of dark fabric but have no idea where I’d find such a thing. Does anyone know if the dimensions of the top of the dashboard are the same as a regular ceed’s? Anyone else had similar issue?

Any views/comments appreciated.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,471 Posts
Have the same problem with my Stonic.

As a trial I bought two squares of black hobby felt from Hobbycraft and used some double sided tape to hold them on the dash behind the steering wheel. Not too elegant but worked 100%. - If I was not such a cheapscate I'd have found a source of larger black felt and cut out a cover for the whole dash top!!!

Then I decided to buy polarised sunglasses (mine have to be prescription) and these seem to mange at least 70-80% reduction of the reflections. Given the number of days a year (<20) when the sun shines enough to trouble me I'll stick with the polarised glasses for now.

You can buy manufactured mats from fleaBay - search for Kia dashmat cover, not sure if the various suppliers have a Ceed version. These are popular in Australia (where the sun is really strong 300 days a year) so may only be available for Australian models, you may have to contact some manufacturers to see.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
Hello fellow xceeders,
Has anyone else had problems on sunny days where glare from the top of the dashboard reflects onto the windscreen and impairing visibility? The dash board isn’t particularly shiny but shiny enough to reflect sunlight back onto the windscreen. May not be a problem with shorter days on the horizon!

i’m thinking of buying a dashboard cover made of dark fabric but have no idea where I’d find such a thing. Does anyone know if the dimensions of the top of the dashboard are the same as a regular ceed’s? Anyone else had similar issue?

cover

As above Stonic was a nightmare. I ended up buying a dashmat. Mine came from Ebay.
I think Korea/Australia is a good source for this sort of thing.
Other than that it's a blue peter job.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
It is the same on my Sportage. It can be particularly bad at this time of year and I wear sunglasses to counter it. I use a damp shammy cloth, no polishing, to keep it clean. I will have to try @Radiorail dark felt tip.

·
Registered
2020 Picanto 3 my21
57 Posts
I bought a fitted mat for my pics to which has proved first class. Saves a lot of I strain. I found it advertised on joom.com as a dashboard cover. I believe they are produced for the Australian market

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
maybe the dealer detailed the dash with a chemical.

There are spray cans of foam cleaner available that are specifically for interior plastic and glass. Kent foam cleaner is one. new car showrooms often have the cans on display. This foam is great on dashboard tops, keeps them looking new without the reflection.

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
475 Posts
I've noticed 2 types of dash wipes. Gloss and Matt. Maybe the Matt ones would help a little.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,471 Posts
I've noticed 2 types of dash wipes. Gloss and Matt. Maybe the Matt ones would help a little.
I tried the wipes but they made no difference.

I think the main issue, and difference between cars, is the angle of the windscreen in relation to the dash and the driving position - on the Stonic they all conspire to cause the perfect Pepper's Ghost illusion. Only benefit is it works well for a heads up display from the mobile phone!

• Haha
Reactions: macgd016 and Aln114

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello fellow xceeders,

Hi

I have some new glasses and know exactly what you mean.
The felt is a good option although I have not tried it but I do have 2 other options you may wish to try.
1) You can purchase wipes that leave a matt finish as opposed to the standard shiny finish.
2) Polarized sun glasses can make a big difference and mine remove all the reflection but they must say polarized on the packet. I normally use varifocal glasses for day to day use but I purchased 2 pares of prescription, single lens glasses just for driving (i.e. Clear and sun glasses) for about £30.

Hope this is of help

regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.