Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've put a deposit down on the Kia e-niro 4+ and have since changed my mind. Is the deposit refundable? My dealer is saying it is not, which is very disappointing.

Thank you for reading!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Read the terms on your invoice, but the normal intention of a deposit is to create an enforceable commitment on both parties. The dealer has put in an order on the back of your deposit and will now get a car he has no customer for. There might be a way to cancel that order but there will be a fee to him.

How much was the deposit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deposit was £1k. I asked him before handing over the funds if it was refundable and was told "up until the car is purchased" The contract is pretty basic and does not say no refund for the deposit.

Its my understanding these cars are highly in demand so they shouldn't have a problem selling it.

Have also learned it's the dealer itself that handles the deposits and not Kia Corporate, so no help on that end.

Guess I could attempt a chargeback, it's quite a lot of money to walk away from.

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Deposit was £1k. I asked him before handing over the funds if it was refundable and was told "up until the car is purchased" The contract is pretty basic and does not say no refund for the deposit.

Its my understanding these cars are highly in demand so they shouldn't have a problem selling it.

Have also learned it's the dealer itself that handles the deposits and not Kia Corporate, so no help on that end.

Guess I could attempt a chargeback, it's quite a lot of money to walk away from.

Thanks for your reply!
I doubt that a chargeback would be entertained simply because you have changed your mind. If there has been a significant change in your circumstances then you could try the sympathy card with the dealer (go for a manager not the sales droid). Just because the dealer is handling the deposit this does not mean that KCS will not be interested - the dealer is after all presenting the KIA corporate image and they may well have such things covered off in their franchise agreement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have also paid a deposit ("fully refundable until the car arrives on the forecourt" I was told), and am reasonably happy to wait until March (expected delivery) - however, it's a spec4+, & I'm concerned that if Kia increase the price by then it could easily push the RRP total to more than £40k, meaning the £3k Government grant would not be payable. If that's the case it will make the car unaffordable to me & I would want my deposit back - would I get it? I'm not sure........

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Opinion - if Kia change the price - its a material change in the agreed contract and you can walk away. Yes they can change the price (if the contract says they can) - but its a material change - so you get the option to walk, with a refund

·
Registered
687 Posts
Last 2 cars I have bought have had the price frozen at the point of sale regardless of the delivery time. One took 4 months and there was a list price rise (which of course I did not have to pay) but the other came in 2 months despite 4 months being quoted, no list price rise.

The only requirement was we had to take delivery within a reasonable time once it had arrived at the dealership. No chance to try and sell your car privately for a couple of weeks or blame grandma's op for the delay.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Agree with Sean - the deposit creates an enforceable contract between the two parties which cannot be unilaterally varied. When I paid a deposit on my Sporty I had a document laying our exactly what I would pay. exactly the trade in value of my previous car and exactly what vehicle I was agreeing to purchase. None of these can be varied without the agreement of both parties. But unless the written terms specify otherwise that works both ways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good update here guys. Managed to negotiate 800 of my 1k deposit back into my bank account. Left them 200 for their time.

I've pulled deposits from preorders before...on the tesla m3, MG ZS EV and the VW id3, with no issue. Money was back in my account in a few days. Think Kia needs to get with this new mind set, I'm happy I got them to change their minds!

I'm back with the id3, after test driving the car I was very impressed, the eniro is a great vehicle and well speced but I just liked the inside and exterior of the id3 once I was with it a lot more.

Thanks again for your comments and help!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've pulled deposits from preorders before...on the tesla m3, MG ZS EV and the VW id3, with no issue.
Seems to me that you place an order before knowing what you really want. There is a huge difference between a Tesla Model 3 and MG ZS EV. One is a premium product and one is a cheap Chinese car that gets pretty poor ratings.

I'm back with the id3
So you have already ordered an id3, cancelled it and now are going to order again. Unbelievable.

You really need to make you mind up before placing an order, one day the dealer is going to keep your money and I would not blame them at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with you, I need to stick with one. It's a weird situation with EVs though, you have to give money up before even seeing the car or risk waiting ages to get it. I cancelled my preorders on the tesla and MG after having sat in them. Tesla was too expensive for what it was offering and MG felt like a cheap Chinese car, as you said.

I put down for the Kia and cancelled the id3 order after having sat in the Kia, but after having sat in the id3 I know it's the car for me. I guess it's a personality flaw but from what I've read this is the norm in the EV industry, you give them money to register interest and then cancel if your interest dissipates.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered my eNero in 2019 with a £500 deposit. Since the car wasn't out yet the pricing wasn't known, so my deposit was refundable.

Always check to see what they policy is BEFORE giving your money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have also paid a deposit ("fully refundable until the car arrives on the forecourt" I was told), and am reasonably happy to wait until March (expected delivery) - however, it's a spec4+, & I'm concerned that if Kia increase the price by then it could easily push the RRP total to more than £40k, meaning the £3k Government grant would not be payable. If that's the case it will make the car unaffordable to me & I would want my deposit back - would I get it? I'm not sure........
You don’t need to worry on the price exceeding £40k (although hopefully it won’t) - the price ceiling for the grant is now £50k.

·
Super Moderator
3,290 Posts
I doubt that a chargeback would be entertained simply because you have changed your mind.
Spot on. Certainly is not covered under any of the card regulations.
Now if the dealer had said you were not getting the car, that is a different matter.

Nice to see OP has managed to get a resolution of sorts from the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don’t need to worry on the price exceeding £40k (although hopefully it won’t) - the price ceiling for the grant is now £50k.
Thanks BryanDD, I wasn't aware the ceiling had increased, so that's a positive. I just wish Kia wouldn't keep promoting the Niro on the TV adverts, I keep wishing they'd concentrate more on producing 'em instead !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts