Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a CARENS 08 and am having problems with the gear selector, dragging in 1st,2nd,3rd, when cold (not too bad when its hot). IS THIS A CARENS GEARBOX ONGOING PROBLEM WITH ALL CARENS ????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Dusty, Have you had any success with your gearbox issues as I'm having the same issue with my 08 Carens. I got it from a non kia dealer so they don't seem to know much about these cars.If you've had no response from other members it might be worth moving this into the main body of topics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI DALEX
I have taken my car to 2 main dealer centres in my area and both say there is nothing wrong with the gear box, both checked free of charge because it was still in the 5 yr warranty. Take yours to a kia main dealer and ask them to check your problem under warranty, also inform them that there was a recall on the car for chassis inspection (it involves spraying some chemical into the metal)

Mygears still drag when cold (mainly 1st to 2nd ) but get better when hot.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON

·
Registered
476 Posts
Never had any problem with a Mk3 gearbox, only related problem was when the dmf failed (twice!) & that was done (with new clutch) under warranty. Make sure the complaint is logged with the main dealer so that if it is clutch related they don't sting you for the old trick of "driver error".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry, late reply to this thread, that problem with gearshift dragging between 1st and 2nd is not confined to KIA, I once owned a BMW E30 which did exactly the same thing when the gearbox was cold, I just lived with it, I owned the car for 12 years and covered over 300K miles in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Few months ago I had the DMF and clutch replaced on my carens(christ knows why I should of had a problem at under 20K), noticed that changing gear was very stiff very hard to change 1st 2nd in the cold and even got stuck improved as it warmed up. Went back to the garage they tried adjusting up down cables no affect, went back againchanged the oil to a lower viscosity GL4 oil this didnt improve either. Last attempt they were going to change the gear cable linkable but Kia headoffice sent them another gear oil which they never heard of and check with other garages Dover and Normandy and they never heard of it either. Changed it with that and its alot smoother even in the cold in 1st and 2nd. Hyundai branded oil 75w 85w so check with your garage. Surely something Kia should supply in the first place if it makes this much difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts