Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have the same problem as me regarding 2nd gear on my Kia Soul 2. I cannot engage it cleanly without having to concentrate on the revs, it snags, it improves when the engine is hot

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
From what i can gather they are all the same....the 1st to 2nd gear change is always a bit ropey when its cold.....just hope its not gonna cause any long term problems in the gearbox.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, mine is the same. Sometimes there is a right old crunching of gears. It's not 100% when hot either.If Kia don't have a fix for this, I willdefinitelybe getting oil changes doneperiodically. This is something dealers no longer do as many manufacturers consider the oil will last the lifetime. But of course it doesn't and many modern cars suffer from gearbox issues at around 100K miles and often could have been prevented by a couple of oil changes. I've had two experiences of this in the past myself. Changing gearbox oil is often very simple too.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Sounds like a good plan d3matt........i intend running mine into the ground.......and will be doing that sort of mileage easily......was gonna have the engine oil done more often anyway......will treat the gearbox the same. Hope Kia do come out with a fix for the crunchy gears.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i havent. I was gonna mention it at the 1st service. I do remember something about a gearchange issue on the USA Forums.....but dont know if they have the same gearbox/linkage.....

·
Registered
662 Posts
as the old saying goes it will improve with wear sir and in this case it does honestly apply they are usualy knotchy for the first 10k and then settle a slight pause in neutral as you cross the gate from 1st to 2nd helps haveing looked inside a box the edges of the gears are very sharp from new and this probably causes them to bulk on occasions

·
Registered
76 Posts
But my Soul has now done 20,000 miles and it is just the same as it was when new.If you change to 2nd gear at very low engine revs then it is fine, but on normal acceleration it crunches about 30% of the time and sometimes very badly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My Soul also crunches first to second but only if I change at low revs or allow a slight pause. I find changing at between 2000-2500rpm it slips in ok. If I do pause it makes a right crunch, so higher rev changes it is for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm surprised that there is not more written about this issue if it is a common problem? Do they all do it or do some have perfectly smooth boxes? I dont remember the demo car doing it when I test drove it. Mine is 2nd to 3rd problem where it catches almost every time unless I change abnormally slowly. This shouldnt happen on any new car in my view, tightness yes, but crunching?..no.
I will be getting the local dealer to look at this although I know exactley what fob off I will get. At least it will all be logged for future ref.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would describe mine as notchy when cold that improves when it is warm but is on occasion capable of the odd change that isn't as clean as I would like it.

The gearbox in the Soul is about as simple as they come - you can bet the new 6 speed variant is a real box of tricks when it comes later in the year. This box is a straight single mainshaft syncromesh and non syncromesh reverse. Part of the problem is the gear oil used. These modern synthetic oils are extremely "slippy" for want of a better description and stick to all surfaces very well. They are also quite low in viscosity which is intentional to improve fuel consumption. The synchromesh is a little friction clutch which matches the speed of two gears so they canbe engaged smoothly and the last thing you want is very good oil trying to interfere with that process.

The dealers will be stuck in what they can do in that they will only use the recommended oil but you could try a slightly thicker semi-synthetic oil. The recommended oil is 75W/85 API GL-4 but you could try 85W/90. Avoid fully synthetic. Nowthen, the price for improving the feel of the gearchange will be a stiffer change when cold and possibly a marginal reduction in fuel consumption.
Edited by: anchorman

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
if its crunching every time when its fully warmed up - thats not right. My Soul is quite awkward 1st to 2nd for a 5 mins after a very cold start. And when fully warm its fine - but if i ever do catch a gear wrong and cause a crunch, its the 2nd to 3rd change. The Soul gearchange isnt as smooth as some but is fine generally. At least you have logged it - but i suggest you make a fuss about it and drive identical cars with the dealer in tow to see the differences.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It does not like fast changes,I still crunch mine now and again if I attempt to rush the gear change 2 to 3.I pause now between changes and double the clutch sometimes,when its warm its much better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts