Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 12 plate 1.6 manual diesel Proceed.

I've noticed grease leaking between boot and the shaft on the inner driveshaft and looking to correct this. I've considered just adding something to tighten the joint up but of course I don't know how much grease is left and what's gotten inside!

So I'd ideally remove it, clean, regrease and apply a new gaiter or clip.

A few questions:
Will I loose gearbox oil?
Does anyone know what diameters and length gaiter I'll need? Aftermarket ones come in a massive range of sizes!
The online Kia manual for the next iteration of the car suggests just the lower control arm ball joint and track rod end will need to be removed - is that the case? Is there enough give the other components to get the driveshaft out?

Elliott

·
Registered
260 Posts
Try a syringe full og grease with a very small tube on it, if the gaiter is elastic you may be able to push the tube up inside avoiding getting any dirt ingress and avoid taking the boot off.
This reminds me that mine is the same LH side,... must put on a better clamp before it gets worse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the suggestion, just concerned there will have been dirt/water ingress as well as grease egress! Additionally its quite limited access to remove and replace the clamp!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Last time I took off a boot that had leaked quite a lot I found it was spotless inside and full of grease anyway so I should have left it alone and just replaced the clamp ring instead of probably introducing contaminates. There is usually a lot of sand and dirt around the whole area.

·
Registered
337 Posts
HI Elliott,
Had this on my ceed 2.0 crdi and Kia had 2 attempts to repair it and failed both times, 1st time fitted new clamp & 2nd time replaced gaiter etc and it still spits a bit of grease out every so often. Never had a problem with offside only nearside shaft. I would try a new clamp and see how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts