Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having issues on my 2016 sportage diesel manual only done 40000miles. The problem is its really stiff/Impossible to change gear one second then perfectly fine the next doesn't make any difference 1st to 2nd 3nd to 3rd etc or going up or down gears just won't slot into a gear and then is perfectly fine again been happening for the last few trips. Clutch pedal all feels good no noise vibration or any actual grinding of gears just won't go in??

Many thanks for any pointers as don't know whether to main dealer or not likely warranty or not

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can you always easily select first or reverse with the engine running before moving off from standstill? If so, then the clutch must be adequately 'clearing' and the problems described must surely be due to the gearbox or the external shift linkages.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for reply yes easily slides through gearbox when stationery. Never seems to happen changing into reverse at all thats what makes me think it might be gearbox and therfore a warranty job.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi thanks for reply yes easily slides through gearbox when stationery. Never seems to happen changing into reverse at all thats what makes me think it might be gearbox and therfore a warranty job.
We had a similar problem with my wife's Beetle. On that occasion all it needed was the linkage dismantling, cleaning and putting back together. Transformed the gear shift completely. Hope yours is as easily sorted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
How does the gear change feel when the engine is not running? If it selects gears ok with the engine turned off but struggles when its running then its the clutch, if not then its the gearbox syncros. If I were a betting man I would favor the later, these boxes seem to be made from cheese.........

·
Registered
69 Posts
How does the gear change feel when the engine is not running? If it selects gears ok with the engine turned off but struggles when its running then its the clutch, if not then its the gearbox syncros. If I were a betting man I would favor the later, these boxes seem to be made from cheese.........
Would these gearboxes benefit from a more regular oil change? Or would you think they will wear out premature anyway due to inferior materials used?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Would not make any difference. The internals are poor quality and the situation is not made better by Kia who will only allow the one faulty part to be replaced, they never authorise a new gearbox to be fitted. For instance if 3rd gear syncro has failed we can only replace that one part, they wont allow new bearings or even driveshaft oil seals. Its not unusual for us to carry out one of these repairs only for the car to come back in the future with a syncro failed on another gear.
The best advice I could give is make sure the clutch is in tip top condition and any signs of it getting heavy or dragging change it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts