Kia Owners Club Forum banner

gearbox noise

11K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  keefer01 
#1 ·
hi i have a 2006 2.0ltr diesel 4wd with 26000 miles on the clock and have a transmission rattle at between 1500 and 2000 revs in any gear more so when working ie climbing dealer says its front end as they removed prop they changed all transmission oils but still there can anyone please help shed some light on this .thanks

#4 ·
Are you sure its gearbox noise.
I have a rattle just like you describe.

It comes in at 1800 Rpm under acceleration, they seem a bit vague.

But two mechanics who have heard it seem to think its a sloppy injector causing a diesel knock.

Its not being picked up on a diagnostics though.

It goes in next week for repair.

The way I would describe my noise..........like a machine gun going off, but passes after 2000 Rpm.

#12 ·
you'll find they'll Kia that is, try to identify everything that will direct you away from the costly design fault of Kia's teh transmission.. see my reply as follows..
Hi... Hows the rattle..???? same here, had a loud engine/gearbox rattle for 12 months, finally identified astransmissionproblems.!!! and from 2 estimates given by 2independentgarages.. the repair will be approx £1500.00 - £2000.00. seems as if this is more wide spread then our our cars, the problems you'll always have is KIA like all other car companies is not going to admitetheyhave a faulty design issue and recall all cars for gear box replacements. The know we're british and will grin an bear it and foot the cost oftheirdesign short falls.

#13 ·
Well.
My 2005 crdi 4wd went in yesterday.

Now this is the Fifth time to the main dealers re this problem.

The car was bought from them second hand, the following day taken back with this rattle.

I want it fixed.

Seems now that its not a Diesel Knock as I was told.

Looks as if its the Flywheel.

Will keep posting re this, and hopefully will have a fix next week.

#15 ·
Hi, You'll find complaining to KIA UK is the only way forward, the dealers will not get involved in a lengthy argument about the fault you and so many have, they just want the service work and labour cost's, if they did'nt they'd all be out of work.
Kia Customer services rang me yestareday and informed me, very politly.. Forums are full of time wasting complainers who only complain with thier key board.Your rattle will be with you for a long time unless the transmission is taken out... at your cost. £500.00 labour straight away. Kia explained its out of warranty and tuff... if its a design fault.. you need to email KIA UK with the Transmission complaint about rattling... as we all do.

#19 ·
I had a couple of injectors go on a freelander, this didn't cause any kind of diesel knock.
I was a bit doubtful at that diagnosis.

I shall give the dealerchance to put this right, there is a flywheel on order.

They are doing this at their expence.

see what happens next week.

paull1603

let us know how you get on mate.

scubacolin.
<DIV id=proMenu8946 ="dropDownMenu">
http://...kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/pm_buddy_list.asp?name=scubacolinInteresting Posts mate.

I am listening, and thanks for your input.
Edited by: Homeless

#20 ·
Wellits had a new Flywheel.
And guess what, its still rattling.

The dealer seems at a loss to explain what is wrong.

So I sold the car back to them, I just lost @@@ing patience with it.

I need to Tow with it, and have no confidence in this car.

I am very happy with the deal, and the dealer.

So its goodbye Rattling Sportage.

Will be watching this forum to see how you Guys get on.

#21 ·
Hi... There have been a few dealers who seem to run the "oh it must be the fly wheel" and few sportage owners have all had the same prob. IT IS NOT THE PROBLEM... THE PROB IS IN TEH TRANSMISSION.. A VERY EXPENSIVE REPAIR.. ESPECIALLY TO YOU.... IF THEY CAN DIVIDE AND CONQURE MAKES EVERYONE THINK IT'S JUST THIER CAR AND NOTDESIGNS FAULT. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Glad you got it sorted one way or another..

#22 ·
I have just been looking on a different forum regarding this problem.
It seem as if thisisa problem a lot of people are experiencing with their Sportages.

Wish I had known this before.

I would have given kia a Wide birth.

Here is a copy of a letter thatI found RE Gearbox Rattle.

Thank you for your email to Kia Motors Corporation received on 05 September 2007 regarding your vehicle. This has been passed to me for investigation and response; please do not consider this a discourtesy rather a delegation of tasks. I have tried to contact you on the telephone number provided but have been unsuccessful.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">I am sorry to learn of the issue you have experienced with the gearbox on your Kia Sportage. The quality of Kia cars is the cornerstone of our customer philosophy, and we value all customer feedback. Please accept my apologies on behalf of Kia Motors (UK) Ltd for the disappointment and frustration this matter has caused.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">On your behalf, I have been in contact with Service Manager at xxxxxxxxxxxx, and our Technical Department. Having now had the opportunity to discuss your concerns, I must advise that the diagnosis indicates that there is no fault evident, and that the noise described is a characteristic of the vehicle. <BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">If you are unhappy with this explanation I would suggest that you have the part inspected by an independent engineer. I must advise you, however, that this would be at a cost to yourself. Whilst I appreciate that this response may be met with a certain degree of disappointment, I hope that you are able to appreciate our position in this matter.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">I must also concur with the decision made by Mr xxxxxx xxxxxxx in our Customer Service Department; Kia Motors (UK) Ltd will not be extending the warranty on your Kia Sportage beyond the three-year manufacturers warranty. However, upon expiry of the pan-European warranty provided with a new vehicle, customers are invited to purchase an extended warranty from a Kia dealer or they are free to purchase a similar product from a third party. If Kia owners do not purchase such protection, any risk associated with ownership of the vehicle remains with the owner. <BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Finally, I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact Kia Motors (UK) Ltd in order that we may investigate and respond to your concerns.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Yours sincerely <BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1"><B itxt="1">Customer Service[/B]

So a car that has a gearbox that makes a noise like a tray of marbles, between 1500 and 2000 rpm.

is a characteristic of the vehicle. ????

Sorry but I think not.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">

<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">
Edited by: Homeless

#23 ·
i have a 1.7 diesel sportage 2010 and they tell me its gear chatter i have been complaining from 20000 miles its now done 165000 miles and the noise is much worse but kia tell the dealer it may be wear and tear ....so why give a 7 year warrenty if they are not going to honour it ????

#24 ·
Got exactly same problem with mine going in for repairs Friday definitely the dual mass part of clutch assembly. Unfortunately these and several other of the competitors suffer the same. The other bad news is it is not cheap as there are no aftermarket conversions available yet.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.