Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We no doubt all know how rubbish the MkII Carens gearbox is, well here's another hassle to look out for
....luckily easy to fix. I got the panic call from Mrs Rusty that there was something wrong with the clutch or gears and the car wouldn't go and she was stuck in the Asda car park

I feared the worst, that the 'box had failed completely, but there was a clue- she said it wouldn't go into any gear and the stick was floppy. I whizzed up in the Vitesse........with it's much better 43 year old gearbox.....and some tools, and lifted the gearstick housing and there it was- the ball end on the bottom of the gearstick had come adrift from the socket on the end of the cable. Presumeably this was because of the boxes general baulkiness and Mrs Rusty thumping the stick, but anyway it was an easy fix tp pop the ball back in the socket and get all the gears back..but what a woefully underengineered selector mechanism! The nylon socket is very marginal and has a clockwise twist which put's it at the limit in the first/second plane.I can't help thinking it's going to happen again so I suppose I'll need to order up a new cable.

It's something to watch out for but so long as you have a screwdriver you won't need to be recovered home

·
Registered
536 Posts
Bit of thread lock in the bottom help you think? I agree with you a about poor engineering. Seams to be a culture of kids with laptops that haven't got a clue about building stuff to last nowadays. I tried explaining to an engineering degree student why a table saw has a reverse thread on the blade drive shaft and he didn't understand! Guess if the computer says no....the penny never drops. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi mr rusty, i have seen in another post from February 2010 that you had the gearbox problem start at around 50,000 miles and had drove another 15,000 miles without it getting any worse.
Is this still the same gearbox your wife is driving around with?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, yes it is still the same box ad it hasn't got any worse, but I have managed to get Mrs R to change her gearshifting technique and slow her shifts down a bit- I would imagine if she carried on driving it like she did it would've got worse by now....she even knows how to double declutch now! Not something I would have ever thought anyone who drives a modern car would need to know but there you go.

I think with careful treatment there's no reason why the box should get any worse, but try shifting it quick and it will grumble!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks mr rusty, i think i will go along with the slow shifting going up the gears and double de clutch when going down into 3rd.
Just out of curiosity how many miles has the car done now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello, it's done just over 92000, and although this selector cable fault has appeared the actual box hasn't got any worse. I haven't got around to changing the cable yet, but it's something I'm going to do soon, take a look next time the cover's off for handbrake adjustment, it's a woefully under-engineered lump of nylon!

One good point about these cars however, they seem very good on the smoke test, ours was in for MOT on Saturday and scored .25, which aint bad! The car is, however, used on the motorway every day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks mr rusty.
So its done 42,000 since the problem started, i guess i will just leave mine then and see how it goes :)
Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine has gear change probs when cold, had new sycro fitted but hardley any change. Is the Carens 2 renowned for this problem?, mine is an 08 and still under warranty.Do you think a new gearbox would fix the problem?

·
Registered
476 Posts
08 is a Mk3, totally different box & setup.

The Mk2 (pre 2006 & 5 speed box) is well known for having a flaky gearbox.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts