Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello can anybody help i have a 2005 plate 2.litre diesel sporage , when stationary gear selection is tight and sometimes cant get a gear at all . Took it to a garage they said needs new clutch and actuator cylinder. Had them replaced ( so they say ) can see that new actuator cylinder but how can i tell they have changed clutch.gears seemed fine after i had it back from garage but the clutch still bit at the top , but now gear selection is starting to get tight again , any ideas ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have the exact same issues with our 2007 Sportage, which we only purchased in January. I promptly took the vehicle to our local Kia dealer as I was under the impressionthe vehicle maystill beunder warranty.
They came back to me with a diagnosis that both the clutch and duel mass flywheel would need replacing, at a cost of £1400+, as the warranty had expired the previous month!!

A bit too steep for us, so we had the replacement clutch and DMF fitted at our local garage, (whom my company have been using for years for our fleet vehicles), at a cost of £900.

Graham, a mechanic for some 20 years, advised me the clutch didnt quite need replaced yet, but flywheel was certainly pitted and had some movement. I asked him to replace both anyway, as advised by Kia.

After the new (genuine Kia) parts were fitted, the problem still exists. There is no difference whatsoever,gears are stifffor about 10mins/15mls then gear selection becomes impossible. Graham has tried everything to rectify, including using a different gearbox oil, changing master cylinder, and other bits and peices that I cant remember! He has even removed the new parts, and had them replaced by Kia on the basis that the original new parts were faulty, all in his own time and at his own expense.He has asked advice from friends in other garages, and was shocked to discover that other garages have had the same issues, one of which was also in the process of still trying to resolve!!!

Bottom line is he has had our vehicle for over a month now and is at the point of giving up.

Kia are just not interested, and when I contacted the Kia UK head office, they simply refered me back to our local dealer.

Please let me know if you can find a solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello again took the car back to garage they now tell me it may be the dual mass flywheel that is problem ,would have thought they would have checked this for wear when they had the clutch off , so now its going to have to be stripped down again wont get it back till late next week because of the bank holiday .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok guys, an update on the Sportage dual Mass Flywheel issues.
I have finally got our 2007 Sportage back on the road, after a full month of head scratching and numerous phonecalls back and forth to KIA etc.

The problem lies in the replacement DMFs Kia are sending out. Graham, my mechanic (see post above) has had to strip out the gearbox etc 3 times now.

Despite Graham insisting the parts KIA were sending him were faulty, KIA just would not back down, and would not accept their parts had issues. Graham, at his own expense, ended up purchasing a further two DMFs directly from main dealers, and after close scrutiny, realised there were slight differences in them all. Nothing too obvious, mainly finish quality, thicknesses etc. The main issue were the pressure springs. Two of the replacement DMFs were poorly assembled, the springs themselves being loose or not seated correctly. On thesecond DMF Graham fitted, the springs actuallyfell out, hence gear selection became impossible.

He is nowseekinglegal advice with the intention of suingKIA for the cost of the parts and 2 lots of labour....

Please make sure that if replacing the DMF, get some sort of guarantee from KIA, or better still take the dealer price hit and get KIA to do the work, thenthey have no comeback when it goes tits up (and it will!).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts