Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ! First time poster so I’ll apologise if it’s something that’s already been posted and chatted about but I couldn’t see anything.

The gears on my Sportage 2012 1.7 CRD have intermittently started not going into gear when starting the car. When I left work yesterday it wouldn’t go into any gear, apart from reverse although that was with a big crunch (ouch!) then a judder similar to when you stall a car, although it didn’t actually stall. After that, it went into gear fine. It’s not doing it every time. Whilst I was experiencing this problem another time, I turned the engine off and was able to put the gear stick into all of the gears without any issue, but as soon as I put the engine back on, the issue returned. I started the car in first and there was a small judder and it was all back to normal again! It’s happened once whilst driving, pretty soon into a journey and I had to pull over, turn the car off and restart in first. I tried ‘pumping’ the clutch which didn’t seem to make any difference and the clutch itself doesn’t feel any different when it happens. Any ideas?!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sounds similar to my 2009 ceed, when gearbox oil is cold getting into 1st and the change to 2nd is always hard to get into as it needs to be below 2000 rpm and slower than normal shift.
Once you have driven a mile or two the gearbox works fine. When car was under warranty the dealer said the gearbox tolerance was tight but it would last a long time as they were well built?
I had the oil changed to Shell SPIRAL S6 GXME 75W-80 And also added X1R-1R manual oil treatment off ebay once out of warranty and this really improved the gear change so it might just be down to grade of oil Kia use?, forgot to say dealer stated that the gearbox oil never needed changing but for peace of mind I will change it every 4 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies guys. I took it to the local Kia garage who are advising a clutch replacement (at my expense and not under warranty of course 🙄) but a local mechanic took a look and isn’t convinced it is the clutch due to the intermittent nature of the problem. Going to hold off a bit and see if it develops further or if I can get more of a picture of what conditions it’s happening in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds similar to my 2009 ceed, when gearbox oil is cold getting into 1st and the change to 2nd is always hard to get into as it needs to be below 2000 rpm and slower than normal shift.
Once you have driven a mile or two the gearbox works fine. When car was under warranty the dealer said the gearbox tolerance was tight but it would last a long time as they were well built?
I had the oil changed to Shell SPIRAL S6 GXME 75W-80 And also added X1R-1R manual oil treatment off ebay once out of warranty and this really improved the gear change so it might just be down to grade of oil Kia use?, forgot to say dealer stated that the gearbox oil never needed changing but for peace of mind I will change it every 4 years.

I think this notion of "lifetime" gear oil is clearly BS - that claim just doesn't stand up to any logical argument when you really think about it ! ....I think (by the commonality of user reports) it's also highly likely that KIA are cheaping out with the quality of gear oil they're putting in newly manufactured cars. I had all the same notchy / sticking / crunching issues with a 2012 plate Ceed that I've just bought. The car was mint otherwise and low mileage at 45k. I've just changed the gearbox oil to Fuchs Titan SyntoFluid and am pleased to report that the difference is absolutely astonishing ! ....transformational in fact. The crap that came out of the gearbox was black and very watery :surprise: ...... So, I'd suggest this is the first thing to try for anybody with these kind of problems on KiA's - it may well solve your problems and if not, then it's a cheap job that likely needs doing anyway .....it certainly can't do any harm to get rid of the cheap and nasty OEM stuff !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi intresting read my 2014 2.0 sportage 58000 on clock is a bit stiff going into 1st and 2nd but clears after a couple of miles if I get a gear box oil change done will it affect my warranty if done at my local independent. great site by the way

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds similar to my issues on my 2012 Sportage
Resulted in a clutch replacement
And open wallet surgery!
Hi I know this was a little while ago, I am just enquiring did a clutch change resolve the problem?? I am having the same problem with my 2012Sportage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts