Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If like me you travel to Europe with your car, you will be aware the old style GB Euro number plate is no longer accepable in the Euro countries. Now you need to have a GB stickers on your car and caravan/trailer. In the past these were mostly a sticky variety and were difficult to remove from the paintwork. You could get magnetic versions, but they are not much good when most modern cars have a lot of plastic panels.
However I've just discovered that the rules allow you to have number plate with a UK, CYM, ENG, GB, SCO or Wales with the associated national flag above. There are also reasonably priced stickers that cover the old Euro GB blue area on your plate.
Something to think about once we are out of this lock down and can travel again, fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
3,920 Posts
I think I payed £2 off ebay for some st georges cross stickers, which I put over the 12 stars that were on the Stonic. I now just have plain plates on new car.
No intention of leaving our hallowed shores :)

Mind you might need them to go north of the borders 😂

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,009 Posts
Funnily enough I was looking at this the other day and the current Government info on Vehicle registration numbers and number plates say's that you will still need to display a separate GB sticker when travelling in the EU if you are travelling to Spain, Malta or Cyprus (last sentence in the blurb below).
'You can display one of the following flags with identifying letters on the left-hand side of the number plate: • Union flag • Cross of St George • Cross of St Andrew – also known as the Saltire • Red dragon of Wales
The letters, or national identifiers, you can have are: • GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain or GB • UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom or UK • ENGLAND, England, ENG or Eng • SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO or Sco • CYMRU, Cymru, CYM or Cym • WALES or Wales
You cannot have the flag or letters on the number plate margin, and neither can be more than 50 millimetres wide. Vehicles which have both the letters ‘GB’ and the Union flag on their number plate do not need to display a separate GB sticker when travelling in the EU unless they are travelling to Spain, Malta or Cyprus.'

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funnily enough I was looking at this the other day and the current Government info on Vehicle registration numbers and number plates say's that you will still need to display a separate GB sticker when travelling in the EU if you are travelling to Spain, Malta or Cyprus (last sentence in the blurb below).
'You can display one of the following flags with identifying letters on the left-hand side of the number plate: • Union flag • Cross of St George • Cross of St Andrew – also known as the Saltire • Red dragon of Wales
The letters, or national identifiers, you can have are: • GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain or GB • UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom or UK • ENGLAND, England, ENG or Eng • SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO or Sco • CYMRU, Cymru, CYM or Cym • WALES or Wales
You cannot have the flag or letters on the number plate margin, and neither can be more than 50 millimetres wide. Vehicles which have both the letters ‘GB’ and the Union flag on their number plate do not need to display a separate GB sticker when travelling in the EU unless they are travelling to Spain, Malta or Cyprus.'
That's what the web page that I linked to says. ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
My current Niro (69 plate) and my previous one (67 plate) both came with the Union Flag/GB number plates. I didn't ask for them. Took the previous one into Europe 3 or 4 times without an issue (although not been over since Brexit).

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't think I will be driving to Malta or Cyprus - I could flood the engine!

Reactions: phil866

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hi De Hi: I think these GB plate rules are post Brexit, as we've had the UK Union flag and GB on our number plates without any bother pre Brexit. As we MAY be able to drive down to our place in Spain sometime this year, the fact you now need sticky separate GB plates is a nuisance. But preferable to a "conversation" with the Guardia and the loss of some euros....

Reactions: phil866

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi De Hi: I think these GB plate rules are post Brexit, as we've had the UK Union flag and GB on our number plates without any bother pre Brexit. As we MAY be able to drive down to our place in Spain sometime this year, the fact you now need sticky separate GB plates is a nuisance. But preferable to a "conversation" with the Guardia and the loss of some euros....
The information in the link in my first post is from the UK Gov site and as far as I am aware apply post Brexit. According to that site you will need a GB sticker in Spain.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The information in the link in my first post is from the UK Gov site and as far as I am aware apply post Brexit. According to that site you will need a GB sticker in Spain.
Thanks, yes, understood.
My comment referred to driving down to Spain, therefore will need the GB stickers :(

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
343 Posts
you can get magnetic GB plates no need to use stickers, i have put stickers over the euro badge on the number plate although they are slightly too small and you can still see the euro blue underneath this is a temporary measure probally get new plates before mot.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found these on Ebay, not that expensive.

·
Registered
193 Posts
you can get magnetic GB plates no need to use stickers, i have put stickers over the euro badge on the number plate although they are slightly too small and you can still see the euro blue underneath this is a temporary measure probally get new plates before mot.
I had those some time back. Then I bought a Renault Megane CC and it had no metal panels!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yep, found that on the Renault Espace we had long ago.
Sticky GB plates will be a small inconvenience compared to being able to check up on our Spanish apartment, last visit 2 years ago now and 1 week away from travelling when Lockdown1 hit!

·
Registered
20 Posts
....will still need to display a separate GB sticker when travelling in the EU if you are travelling to Spain, Malta or Cyprus
What is the definition of "display"?

Is there a specific location or area on the vehicle, or can it be displayed anywhere....for example on the glass of the rear window?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts