Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PHEV apparently use the ICE to heat air for the cabin, even when in all electric mode. I would have much preferred electric heating, even though it reduces range. Does anyone have a strategy to minimise gas consumption, while keeping the heat turned on in electric mode?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wear outdoor clothes is the usual advice in Scandinavian countries. The Norwegians even have a joke about it - "only well-dressed people drive EVs in winter" which was probably funnier some years ago.

Edit - "well-dressed" doesn't mean what it does in the UK. It means "properly dressed" in terms of weather rather than wearing expensive clothes.

·
Super Moderator
9,439 Posts
The PHEV apparently use the ICE to heat air for the cabin, even when in all electric mode. I would have much preferred electric heating, even though it reduces range. Does anyone have a strategy to minimise gas consumption, while keeping the heat turned on in electric mode?
Make sure temp setting inside car is around outside temp. Ok not easy in Norway in winter.
Use heated seats/steering wheel.
Keep car in a heated garage?
Some people use a small electric heater in the car to warm it up, but not sure if that stops the ICE kicking in as that does need to get upto running temp anyway, or that will kill MPG anyway. But could be overcome with a engine block heater. Which I think is quite common in your neck of the woods.

End of the day. If you are cold it is not good for your concentration driving. So take the hit on extra fuel used.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I miss my Webasto diesel-fired, pre-heating system from several years ago, replete with remote control fob which operated much further from the car than the one that operated the locks. Excellent bit of kit!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the answers. Likely I just have to live with some gas consumption when it is cold outside.
There's no magic formula really.

One of the things you might consider is putting something like one of the passive dehumidifiers like this somehwere in the car :

I have one of those velcro'd in the floorspace for the back central seat - remove in summer and put it back in for winter. Well something similar anyway. It takes a lot of moisture out of the car in winter.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento '3' PHEV
17 Posts
Thanks for the answers. Likely I just have to live with some gas consumption when it is cold outside.
I moved from a 530e and was also surprised there was no remote pre conditioning for heating/cooling and that the engine is required for heating once started. Presume BMW must have used an electric heatpump which seems to be a better solution, but I presume Kai had technical reasons. I used to used the pre conditioning a lot in the winter to get the car up to temp and avoid having to de-ice while it was plugged into the wall charger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I need to test this hypothesis a bit more - but my learning so far is that during winter it is actually better to take route with higher average speed like highway, rather then parallel normal road. At least from point of average consumption. When there is outside temp about 0, it looks like my ICE is on all the time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I miss my Webasto diesel-fired, pre-heating system from several years ago, replete with remote control fob which operated much further from the car than the one that operated the locks. Excellent bit of kit!
They’re super. Have one on Mk1. Uses 0.1 l in 30 minutes to heat engine and interior. Remote from 500m or preset time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Samdal, now that we are through about half of the winter, what average fuel consumption (liter/10km) have you experienced with your Sorento PHEV?

I am interested since I live in Sweden (mid) and I assume that we kind of have experienced the same or at least similar outside temperatures.

Even with a fully charged battery and heating set to just 19-20 celsius (and setting the AC to "driver only"), my Sorento PHEV still has an average consumption north of 7 L/10km when it's around -8 to -10 celsius and usually north of 5L/10km when its around 0 up to 4 celsius outside. My daily drives contains both slower parts in the city and faster parts on highway/countryside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As I had over last few weeks rather short tracks only, I was able most of them to drive in pure electric mode, or only last few kilometres to drive in HEV mode. If I set air conditioning to Lo or turn it off, car will remain in pure EV also in sub zero conditions - I believed before the engine always goes on in low temperature. So I used this a lot in short commutes, using heated seats and steering wheel instead of standard heating coming from combustion engine. I'm over 1000km now with avg consumption 0.8l/100km. It was here like about 0 celsius most of the time, I'm afraid that if it is -10, I would need to use combustion engine for heating much more (due freezing windows) and so the consumption even in my commute pattern would go higher.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your average consumption is impressive @LBH_Srsen . I have tried the same here, with various results. Fuel consumption gets good. However, it seems like that when its colder than -10 or so, the ICE turns on even with AC turned off. Another, and bigger, problem I get when turing off the AC is the moisture building up inside the car with the. Especially when it's below 0. But I've tried to run with AC OFF and then just turned it on on "Low" in order to clear the windscreen, and then turn it off again. Kind of works, but fog builds up again very quickly (in a few minutes), which is especially annoying when driving after dark. Consider trying placing a moisture trap or two in the car, to see if that can help with the fogging windows.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For me in fight with moisture worked this setup: AC ON, temperature set to Lo, manually set air direction to wind screen only and then manually setting appropriate fan speed (this let the car stay in pure EV mode). In case I caused lot's of moisture in car (like when I jump in a car after finishing my run), I rather drive for a bit with open sunroof and leave doors opened for a minute or two at the destination, to let as much moisture to leave a car before night as possible. Failing to do so caused frozen windshield from inside next morning - lesson learned :) ...and of course, if I'm driving alone, all this works fine, but it finds the limits once there is more people in car. Back to the consumption - the numbers are great because of my commute pattern, which is about 50-60 km a day and many times I have chance to recharge accumulator a bit while in the work and so minimize switching to HEV on a way back. My total average after about 4k km is about 4.5l/100km, long trip (about 1000km) mostly with highway speed and without chance to recharge ruined my numbers :), it went about 10l/100km :rolleyes:.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts