Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice- after my last post I took my 17plate petrol Rio to the dealer.....explained the clutch judder, they kept the car overnight and called the next morning to let me know they’d be replacing the clutch and fly wheel in warranty! Great! Although after 20k miles and less than 3 years old I still don’t think it should need one, apparently a fault clutch etc....
200 miles later, the judder is back. Dealer saying common when car is cold and all Kia’s including their courtesy cars do it.....if that’s the case, why has our other car( a 2014 Rio) never done it, why didn’t this one do it a year ago when we bought it?

Anyone have or having similar issues? I’ve read it could be because there is damp sat on the clutch that needs to ‘dry’ out.....but surely that can’t be normal can it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don’t have any advice but:

My Rio does the same thing (slight judder / studder) almost every time I go for a drive, but only the first time I use the clutch.

I think these clutches are prone to condensation which means the clutch has to “rub off” the water a bit.

Perhaps yours is extra worn or is more prone, but I’m glad they fixed it!

On My old Hyundai Accent the clutch would shudder after a long highway drive. I think what’s going on it because the clutch hasn’t been lifted in a while, it’s just kinda “re-seating” itself

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don’t have any advice but:

My Rio does the same thing (slight judder / studder) almost every time I go for a drive, but only the first time I use the clutch.

I think these clutches are prone to condensation which means the clutch has to “rub off” the water a bit.

Perhaps yours is extra worn or is more prone, but I’m glad they fixed it!

On My old Hyundai Accent the clutch would shudder after a long highway drive. I think what’s going on it because the clutch hasn’t been lifted in a while, it’s just kinda “re-seating” itself
Yes, condensation is a common issue on clutches first thing after a cold start. The resulting judder clears up very very quickly though, if that is the cause. It is brand and model agnostic, as it can happen on many brands. It is commonly found on Honda Civic and CR-V models, for instance.
There may be other reasons for a judder of course, especially if it is persistent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kia Rio 2014 Had it from new had to have a new clutch fitted last march at 24000 miles and then got the dreaded judder very soon after had it back to the dealer who said that they would replace it under warranty but when they striped it down they said it was down to the way we drive and Kia would not cover it under warranty I had to pay for a new one to be fitted, the first time i drove it from cold it had the judder as before only for the first few times each day but nearly every day, had it back to dealer again who then came up with the damp theory so I think i was conned paying for a clutch that had nothing wrong with it, it had only dun 4000 miles, I asked for the old parts back but was told that they have to be sent to Kia I did contact Kia who confirmed this, the car is 7 years old this year and I will be changing it but I definitely won't be look at Kia, it's a pity as I have had Kia's for the last 12 years but this has put me right off

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kia Rio 2014 Had it from new had to have a new clutch fitted last march at 24000 miles and then got the dreaded judder very soon after had it back to the dealer who said that they would replace it under warranty but when they striped it down they said it was down to the way we drive and Kia would not cover it under warranty I had to pay for a new one to be fitted, the first time i drove it from cold it had the judder as before only for the first few times each day but nearly every day, had it back to dealer again who then came up with the damp theory so I think i was conned paying for a clutch that had nothing wrong with it, it had only dun 4000 miles, I asked for the old parts back but was told that they have to be sent to Kia I did contact Kia who confirmed this, the car is 7 years old this year and I will be changing it but I definitely won't be look at Kia, it's a pity as I have had Kia's for the last 12 years but this has put me right off
This has nothing to do with Kia though. It is down to a lack of understanding about things mechanical. You can't expect to repair something that really doesn't have anything wrong with it that can be fixed but is a 'charcteristic'. Console yourself with the fact that you will know better next time, whatever brand you drive, if or when a similar thing happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This has nothing to do with Kia though. It is down to a lack of understanding about things mechanical. You can't expect to repair something that really doesn't have anything wrong with it that can be fixed but is a 'charcteristic'. Console yourself with the fact that you will know better next time, whatever brand you drive, if or when a similar thing happens.
Sorry to disagree so how come the first clutch that lasted 6 years and never once had a judder until it was replaced, to me there was and is something wrong with the clutches Kia are fitting now, and if it was a new characteristic with Kia clutches shouldn't the Kia dealer have pointed it out before striping it out or was it just a money making exercise for the Kia dealer, as for understanding about mechanica things I was a motorcycle mechanic in the past and have replaced several car clutches myself, and I have been driving for 50 years

1 - 7 of 7 Posts