Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs drove up the road with dif lock button pressed without realising (not far) . I've jacked the whole car up, diff had wound up a bit so it spun back to normal. Checked all wheels, had it running in drive, reverse and full lock while in the air. On the ground car drives backward and forwards, but when full lock is on car judders and acts like the brakes are on. Read previous modules could just take a fuse out but doesn't seem to apply to the latest model. All help appreciated

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Not sure what motor you have If it is a 2.5 that will be a 2004 to 2009. If so this post is in the wrong section. This section is for 2.2 engine totally different model and 4WD system Please clarify what motor you have to get answers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what motor you have If it is a 2.5 that will be a 2004 to 2009. If so this post is in the wrong section. This section is for 2.2 engine totally different model and 4WD system Please clarify what motor you have to get answers
Sorry mate. 2.2, don't know why I put 2.5

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
If it judders on turning looks like the 4WD is still engaged. On the rear diff clutch unit unplug the connector so that 4 WD cannot be engaged. If you still have judder then possible a front drive shaft CV joint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it judders on turning looks like the 4WD is still engaged. On the rear diff clutch unit unplug the connector so that 4 WD cannot be engaged. If you still have judder then possible a front drive shaft CV joint.
Thank you. Will give it a go later. If it is the rear diff clutch that's the issue, can that be left off ok? Or would it need replacing in the end

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
If you leave it disconnected you will just have front wheel drive. But to play safe even when not working would just connect it up for an MOT so as not to give any slightest reason for a fail and then disconnect again.You may find you have lights stay on dash to denote a fault in the system

·
Registered
2 Posts
First questions are is the car still in warranty, and has it been regularly and properly maintained? If so get it booked into your main dealer. Having suffered a complete failure of the rear diff for no apparent reason with the same symptoms you describe and was replaced under the warranty when the car was over 5 years old. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First questions are is the car still in warranty, and has it been regularly and properly maintained? If so get it booked into your main dealer. Having suffered a complete failure of the rear diff for no apparent reason with the same symptoms you describe and was replaced under the warranty when the car was over 5 years old. Good luck.
Ye had full service history. Spoke to kia yesterday, said unless the independent garage we brought it from has proof the proper fluids have been used they won't touch it. Only in 35k and had been serviced regularly before I had it and while I've had it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine was from an independent garage although it had a full Kia service history and I continued with a service plan which probably helped as I have had several problems all fixed under warranty two of which would have been very expensive repairs (Turbo replaced and rear diff replaced). As far as I am aware the fluids in the rear diff would not have needed changing, certainly not in the mileage you have quoted. Have you tried talking to the garage that carries out your servicing they should be able to provide a report that they have used genuine parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a mechanic out this morning. Tried unplugging the 4wd system, checked all cv joints. Still the same issue. Seems to think the mag clutch is stuck on. Got it in kia on Tuesday, so will see what they have to say

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So finally had Kia confirm it's under warranty today. Been in the garage nearly a week. Rear diff and couple being replaced when they have the parts. 4k worth of work

·
Registered
566 Posts
So finally had Kia confirm it's under warranty today. Been in the garage nearly a week. Rear diff and couple being replaced when they have the parts. 4k worth of work
It does seem to be the weak point on the Sorento. Plus the clutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts