Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a Sedona and have had it for two weeks but I am having a problem when trying to fill up with fuel. I have been petrol station three time to do this and each time the tank only half fill. The fuel seems to back up in the tank and causes the pump to automatically shut off the supply, so I tried allowing it to run into to the tank today but it took so long the pump time expired again. Has anyone any ideas why this would happen or how to over come the problem? I have been thinking there may be a fuel / anti syphon filter at the tank and it has got clogged with dirt again does anyone know if this could be the case and the best solution?????

Cheers for any help

Col

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I suppose this has been a stupid question folks, but I'm still struggling no matter how slow I try to refuel the car the fuel backs up and shuts the pump off and only half fills the tank, I have tried several different pumps in all my local garages but to no avail. Guess I'll just have to keep going with half fill ups then

·
Registered
662 Posts
never had issues with sedona slow fill does sound like the tanks full have seen people fit the sender up the wrong way in the tank so would get that checked

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers folks, it is a strange one, I hope the guage is reading true because if not I'm only getting around 180miles for a full tank. I will be getting a service over the next few days so I'll have them check the tank and sender out, my initial thoughts were that the fuel tank had some sort of anti-syphon device fitted and that it was clogged with debris of some sort but I didn't want to be sticking anything down the neck of the tank that might cause damage

·
Registered
141 Posts
need to find out if the have a anti sypthon flap at the tank.
i had to sort this problem out on a VW SPAM didnt happen all the time.

in the end i removed the the anti sypthon flap at the tank which cured the problem.

·
Registered
399 Posts
madbouncer said:
Cheers folks, it is a strange one, I hope the guage is reading true because if not I'm only getting around 180miles for a full tank. I will be getting a service over the next few days so I'll have them check the tank and sender out, my initial thoughts were that the fuel tank had some sort of anti-syphon device fitted and that it was clogged with debris of some sort but I didn't want to be sticking anything down the neck of the tank that might cause damage

Adding on to Viking Paul's reply:- how do you know IF the tank IS empty,? If your going by the gauge Paul's reply still stands, check the sender unit!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tank is not full. It imediately starts to back up when you start to fill the tank. I can enventually get it close to full, but it takes a long time tricling the gas in.

·
Registered
399 Posts
ronney said:
Tank is not full. It imediately starts to back up when you start to fill the tank. I can enventually get it close to full, but it takes a long time tricling the gas in.

This may sound patronising, but, have you tried turning the fuel delivery nozzle to another position, (possibly trigger horisontally to the left or the right)?

ALSO

Before stripping anything, identify the fuel tank breather to confirm that there is no blockage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No it doesn't sound patronizing at all, but believe me I have tried to position the nozzle every direction imaginable, to the point that I am sure some of the people at the gas station think that I have lost my mind!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts