Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wondering if its a known problem on the kia soul for it to keep blowing fuel sender units? mines on its third, how many do i need to go through before kia say yes, there is a fault we will gladly replace your car??

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have not heard of any problems in that area and to have three failures seems very strange indeed.It almost points to some other component that is at fault that is causing the sender to fail. Ask anchorman , he knows all the technical aspects regarding the Soul I don't think that even the Kia technician will know as much as anchorman.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hmmm, well I would suspect that if they have tried 3 senders then they are trying to cure the effect and not the cause. The sender unit is a ballest resisted circuit. This is because the voltage varies from about 11.5V to 14.5V depending on engine speed. You can see this if you shine the headlights against a another close object (wall or car) and then load up the alternator. Switch on the heater and heated rear window and then rev the engine from idle - you will see the lights go bright when you rev it.
Now apply this to the fuel or temperature gauge and you will see that if they were not resisted then the gauges would also rise and fall with battery volts. To get around this, they run the gauges at 9 volts so they never get affected by fluctuations.

If the resistor is faulty it will keep blowing senders as long as they keep fitting them - they are changing the wrong thing. Its the senders that are getting bggrd due to the resistor. Either that or you are extremely unlucky and you can stay away from me if it starts lightening!

In law you have to give them reasonable chance to fix a fault before rejecting a vehicle. It seems you have done this but it gets more difficult as time goes on. I would go and see the dealer manager with a letter saying that due to your complete lack of confidence you wish to formally reject the car. That is a necessary part of the process. If you get nowhere you then have to tell them you want the entire fuel gauge components changing - that would be the speedo cluster and the sender unit (incase any further damage has been done). The resistors are inside the speedo cluster.

Good luck and thanks for the kind words Dave.

·
Registered
283 Posts
MODERATORS
Can you block the IP address of this spamming idiot please.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks - that one has been popping up too frequently

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kia not sticking by there 7 years warentee, sorting my fuel sender unit out! my have to kick somebut! andwhos a spamming idiot??

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Oh its was someone from across the pond and they have been dealt with as in IP address blocked and suspended. I have had to block a few this week, quite a lot from the far east as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts