Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to fill up the tank for the first time since collecting the car, it was reading just over half full so I expected it to take at least 25-30 litres of diesel, instead and to my suprise it took 41 litres, now I know it has a 48 litres tank and it will no doubt take 5 or six more to fill the filler pipe to the top but not as much as 41 litres, I'm sure it would not read just over half a tank with only 10 or so litres left in the tank. Also the range was showing 169 miles until empty which would be just over a quarter of a tank not over half.

Well i've contacted my dealer and I'm waiting for a call back as it will no doubt be going in for its first bit of warranty work, never mind, I am just glad its covered for 7 years.

Regards

Mark.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
They are all the same..... the fuel gauge takes the piss. The tank is actually half full/empty when its reading 3 quarters full......it just means that initially you seem to be getting 200mpg.....then the fuel gauge catches up as you near empty. As it drops so rapidly when nearly empty, dont get caught out with a nearly empty tank in an unfamiliar location.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know tempest, I have now spoken to the dealer and am expecting a call from them tomorrow when there service bods are back in, hopefully its no real issue but as its new I would expect to get the correct reading from the fuel gauge if nothing else.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i usually find after a normal fill up that the gauge stays over the full mark for about a hundred miles...... it then slowly goes down to three quarters........ then goes into freefall for that mad dash to empty....you will get used to it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tempest said:
i usually find after a normal fill up that the gauge stays over the full mark for about a hundred miles...... it then slowly goes down to three quarters........ then goes into freefall for that mad dash to empty....you will get used to it.

Sounds a little strange but as long as its not reading quarter of a tank when it runs out i think i will get used to it eventually.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The low fuel light will come on in plenty of time so you will not run out,my tempest goes down slow at first.There is 239 miles on mine and the fuel gauge is between 3/4 and 1/2 full but it will start to go down at bit faster now in the next 100 miles. The tank gauges are not the best design on all cars.all made to a price.on my other car the tank was a very funny shape and that was the opersite,it went down very fast then hardly moved at all for the next 100 miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I will have to see how it works over the next month or so as my tank should last that long with the mileage I do.
Thanks for the info guys as I expected this forum is good for knowledge and experience of Kia's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting story there Raider, not sure I want to risk going to empty before Ive had the Kia boys check it out, saying that I was expecting a call today but never got one so its on the blower again tomorrow to give them some inspirational talk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought i'd wait for them to contact me today but once again no call, not very happy with the so called customer service, will be calling them tomorrow as i'm of work and seeing what excuse they have, might even drop in on them so they will have no choice but to sort it out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think the Manual and Technical spec. are wrong, and the tank holds more than 48 litres. I always "fill to the rim" to verify fuel consumption, and my last big fill put in 54 litres, with the gauge showing 1/4 full, the trip showing 519 miles from the last fill, the "mileage left" showing 70 miles, and no sign of low fuel warning. I'm averaging 41/48mpg (dropping as the weather gets colder), with my Diesel auto. Is this about normal?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It's very inaccurate regarding fuel levels ,mine was over half full and I had done 302 miles and I put in32.17 lit which was 42mpg whichmeans that it had around 16 lit left in the tank but with a reading at over half fullthat should have been at least 24lit . I never fill it to the brim only to the click off and I always try to use the same pump which at the moment is Esso as this is the closest fuel ststion to us,we only have three anyway to choose from.I don't have the fuel computer on mine as it's a March 2010 model.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
if you fill the car on a slope, with the car sloping away from the fuel cap, you can get more than 48 litres in it..... i too have regularly got 53-54 litres in it and that was before the fuel light was on - so there was still a decent amount in the tank. I assume i am filling up the expansion part of the tank. I never brim it either - just to the first click.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
We are back up to 142.9 and with only three stations to choose from they all put the price up together even though the other stations are Morrisons and Tesco. They rip the public off in this area ,if only Asda would open in the area as near where my son lives its all down to 137.9.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I won't use the supermarket fuels anymore as many have additives to make them work in UK vehicles & youget less range from themby at least 100 milesin my experience .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts