Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car initiated a fault the other day, its the new sportage 1.7 diesel eight months old. When attempting to apply power , the engine cut out immediately, it started ok again but soon as power was on again it kept shutting down right away. I called out the RAC who identified the problem and located it to the pressure sensor for the diesel injection system, I hobbled to the nearest KIA dealership with the assistance of the RAC. The fault was tracked down to the fuel filter which after replacing seemed to have recitfied the problem.
The vehicle has only done 14500miles and after trying to identify when the filter should be replaced I was under the impression that it should be changed around 20k miles. unfortunately this cost me £65.00 to have this replaced. Either the filter is not up to the job or the schedule has to be more clear when this should be changed and I don't know if the outside temp played a part in it as well as it was minus 3 that morning. Has anyone else had similar experience?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Could of course have been a batch of contaminated fuel and the filter was just doing its job.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree with Shaz. It could have been a batch of fuel that wasn't treated with (enough) anti-gel for the temperatures at this time of year(I see you're in East Lothian) and just formed waxes, or maybe a colony of diesel microbes (unlikely, given how new your car is, though). If I remember correctly, modern diesels have very fine diesel filters, aroung 3 to 5 microns, so anything bigger will rapidly clog it. Still, £65 is cheaper than repairing blocked injectors, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts