Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was driving along our local dual-carriageway when i noticed in my rear view mirror a large cloud of
spray that nobody else had behind them. I got to the next pull-in and stopped
. When i got out of
the sportage there was diesel pouring onto the road by the nearside front wheel and the back was
covered in diesel. When i turned off and opened the bonnet it was clear that a hose had gone on
the back of the fuel filter
. I called the rac out who managed to put a larger pipe over the hole and secured it with 4 jubilee clips which sealed it. When the rac man looked at the hose it looked like it had been rubbed through although nothing could be seen local to it to have done it.
Has anybody seen or experienced this themselves . The car is 07 and done 36000 miles

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check the marks on the pipe properly, I had a friend who had a major diesel leak from the engine bay on his sportage and it was the fuel hoses but it turned out to be rodent damage, they apparently like rubber!!!!! I worked in landrover for 5 years and saw loads of defenders with fuel leaks due to mice eating through the pipes

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can confirm that mice love rubber & plastic. I have very little of the anti-rattle pipe covering left on my Sportage and when I find it I remove it to deter the little sods. All the sound deadening has been removed from under the engine cover and I also removed the under bonnet insulation as 3 of them were nesting in the hollow 'tubes' that reinforce the bonnet (ejected with a pressure washer). Most of them seem to like soft stuff but one decided to eat its way through the hard plastic brake fluid reservoir on my wife's Panda. I suggest a good look around with a powerful torch for evidence and a checkunder the bonnet insulation - they seem to be quite happy at 70 MPH!! They are most likely to nest in the Autumn so if you can get rid of them now you should be clear for a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts