Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to work this morning and the fuel light turned on while parking. No problem, I'm only 16 miles from home, 17 miles to the petrol station.
Drove across to the garage for a service and mot. Picked it up after work, started the car and set off home.
The fuel gauge was on the third bar and I noticed it dipped half way to the second one after a mile.... Uh oh.
Well, I hit the dual carriage way and immediately the needle hit bar 2. Bar 1 came after 10 miles.... 7 miles to go with 'no fuel' and the needle was at empty.
Well, after holding my breathe for 7 miles I made it to a fuel pump. And the car took 35.40 litres! Its a 35 lt tank!

TL:DR
I think I've got a faulty fuel sensor. Has anyone else experienced this and got it repaired?

·
Registered
296 Posts
As above - I do not trust fuel gauges below 1/4,I always calculate a 'safe' range and work to that,taking into account the weather and distances from filling stations.

Reactions: Lancelot1937

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had this issue with my old Golf. I used to fill up after every 400 miles. Got a Ceed a couple of weeks ago, and i am wondering if there is a setting which shows miles driven since last fuel up?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've reset the pedometer, so we shall see how far a tank gets us. It's the wife's car and she never resets it, so she can't tell me how far a tank gets her.

Havin had a quick glance at the manual, there's a float which adjusts a variable resister. Maybe that might be the problem. But, not worth the hassle I don't think.

·
Registered
296 Posts
One of the perennial problems with car fuel gauging seems to be that the gauging is often not 'linear' and for a variety of reasons the 'top' half of the tank usually seems to give greater range than the bottom 'half' of the tank,for that reason I rarely go below 1/4 on the gauge and if doing short journeys I completely mistrust any 'range to go' reading as that 'range' varies with current traffic conditions /temperature etc.

Reactions: Drwho2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the perennial problems with car fuel gauging seems to be that the gauging is often not 'linear' and for a variety of reasons the 'top' half of the tank usually seems to give greater range than the bottom 'half' of the tank,for that reason I rarely go below 1/4 on the gauge and if doing short journeys I completely mistrust any 'range to go' reading as that 'range' varies with current traffic conditions /temperature etc.
I think this is where my problem lies. I'm making an issue out of a known problem that isn't a problem as long as I fill the car up when it hits a 1/4 tank. :LOL:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Next time you fill up at 1/4 full you will be able to calculate the tank contents left at 1/4 full, and hence be aware of the risk you are running. You do not give your car details, but on my wife's Picanto we wait until it shows that there is 50 miles left before filling up.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I experience that phenomenon occasionally, though after the tank is filled to the top, it usually sorts itself out.

... As if that 1 complete movement from near empty to full resets it somehow.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My Venga is non linear as well. Maybe its a Kia thing as my Nissan was pretty much what it said on the gauge even when below a quarter.
Having said that, its sensible to refill when it gets to a quarter full as letting it go super empty can also bring up sludge from the tank bottom and start blocking filters which can reduce pressure and cause all sorts of "fun" fueling conditions
Anecdotally, cars "should" be able to make it to the next motorway junction when the light comes on ie: you enter the motorway light comes on but being a motorway nowhere to turn off etc. So if you consider a junction to junction distance can be up to 20 miles in the UK, plus leaving the motorway and finding a petrol station, when the light starts, you "should" still have around 25 miles. I've never dared test it though :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have tested many times. 30 miles is no problem. I believe this is an EU minimum. 60 miles is possible on at least some cars. Never had the Kia tank less than about 25 liters yet so I'm not sure about that. On older cars its best to not risk sucking up debris in the tank. Filling straight away when the light comes on should be safe enough as far as debris in the fuel goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts