Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I understand, the 2009 Carens 2.0i has a fuel tank capacity of 55liters. The gauge was showing that the tank was close to empty last night. Only when I filled it, I only had to fill it with 39litersof petrol (not complaining...did close to 400km on only 30 litres of fuel with urban and autobahn driving)!

I had an additional 16 liters of fuel in the tank. When we rented a diesel Carens earlier in the year, I noticed a similar issue. For the longest time, the gauge hadn't moved from the full position and when it did register as being close to empty, I didn't have to fill it with too much diesel.

Is this a common issues with the Carens? Or have I just had the bad luck to have driven two different cars with a faulty sender unit?

·
Registered
476 Posts
All of my Mk 3's were the same, I just put it down to a characteristic as opposed to a fault.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Don't wait then, fill up at 1/4 tank as I always used to, never trusted the garages to have diesel if I ran so low!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The only issue I have is the gauge seem to hardly move at all when you fill completely up, then when it gets to just over half way it seems to empty a lot faster.I had wondered if the fuel tank wide at the top and then narrows.

I regularly run mine to the empty light and beyond. Some say you shouldnt do this due to sediment in the tank .....whetherthats an urban myth or not I dont know.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Think about it, the fuel must empty through the bottom of the tank, if it didn't it would stop flowing with a good amount left so therefore the urban myth is just that, however, there is a possibility that something may be sloshing round which is a bit mucky, this is what filters are for!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose I'll just have to do that. The general innacuracy of the gauges is the only thing that bothers me with the Carens. I can't think of a reason as to why the fuel gauge is so innacurate other than the float used is not suitable to the tank shape (if the tank is unusually long/wide compared to it's depth).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts