Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a '54 plate Kia Carens 2.0 CRDi LX. One careful owner with 28,000 miles on the clock.
Everybody keeps telling me that these Kia deisels are so good on the fuel yet I barely get 36 mpg around the houses and I've just been on a trip to Devon and back where I didn't seem even to be getting that.

All of the sites I've been on indicate that 36 mpg is about par for the urban cycle, but the 56-odd mpg for motorway driving is way beyond anything I've experienced so far.

Having had a look around I get the feeling that Kia have put more effort into their later models (say 2005 to present) than they did with the slightly earlier ones and that all of the specs that I keep reading refer to these newer jobs.

Would I be correct in that assumption or am I driving round in a motor which should be a bit more frugal on the gas?

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Do you have Kia service history with your car ?
Some of the first things to look at assuming you have, is the correct oil in the car ?
Check that the fuel filter has been changed !
Has your car had a diagnostic reset ?
Does the car pull well when you, drive and increase speed under load ?
Can you smell diesel in the car (possible leak and / or air in the system)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just as a point of reference, I have a 2.0 CRDi Pro-ceed Sport which has just 2000 miles on the clock and I manage 41 m.p.g. average at present.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply.
The car has a full service history as the original owner had purchased it on some sort of Motability scheme, so fullregular services were part of the deal.

I can only presume that during these services all the filters were checked and the correct oil inserted and it certainly doesn't lose fluid of any kind.

The other thing is that the engine seems to labour quite a lot even whe I'm doing 30-35 mph in fourth and I can only employ fifth gear when I'm on the motorway.

Incidentally the racket it makes when the engine is under the lightest of loads is quite extraordinary-its sounds like something is rattling loose under the bonnet!!

Please bear in mind that this is the first deisel I've ever owned and I have little idea what to expect.

Any pointers would be gratefully accepted

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I presume your car is an '07 model. Mine is an '04 and I have no idea what kind of changes have been made to these models in the interim.
Also every spec I've read about the Carens clearly states that the tank is 55 litres capacity and inorder to confirm this I've driven mine to emptythen topped it to the brim, but I can't more than 45 litres into it.

The tank isn't damaged in any way and I've read nothing that says the capacities on later models are larger.

Anybody know different?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This diagnostic reset. Is this a good or bad thing and where do you have to go to have it done if it is of benefit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You will find that you will not get more than 40MPG in any situation,
and they must all sound like a cement mixer

The biggest problem is the gear box, they dont like 4th gear and the ring cogs disintegrate, thats the brass cogs that go between the main gears, 100000 miles and 2 rebuilds and a full replacement, the first at 62000 then the replacement at 67000 and a rebuild at 99000.

When Kia joined up with hyundai they used the engines and gearboxes from the trajet, the trajet was renowned for disliking the gear box as well and has been discontinued

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip off Skippy 41.

You sound like a mechanic who has knowledge of these cars or possibly an owner with bad experiences to report.

I've been told by one or two of the local owners that I've buttonholed that 40 is the best I can expect and it seems to be panning out that way, though it still doesn't explain my tank only holding 44 ltrs of deisel when all the specs say 55.

Got any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi I have had a Carens for six years and have just, today, ordered a new one!

My Present one is 02 and I have had the same tank problem as you are experiencing, the problem is that the tank is no were near 50 litres,
You cannot seem to get any up to date specification for yours or mine, so I would give up now.

You will find that the tank is about 38ltr capacity and you feel your Carens is not fuel efficient? However if you calculate mileage to fuel use you will find that it is OK if you wish to get 56mpg on the motorways don't put your pedal to the metal, just keep it around 65mph. but usually you annoy other drivers then? If you keep it between 70 & 80 you should find it OK and comfortable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks for the reply PDD43.
The tank definitely holds no more than 44 litres and I've found that if I drive like my dowager aunt I can indeed get about 40 mpg fromfull.

I've taken to buttonholing local Carens owners and quizzing them about thefuel economy and with few exceptions they've said that the 50 mpg as standard diatribe is myth, so at least I'm happy now that the car is running as it should.

These newer models; do they give you improved fuel economy or have they been enhanced in terms of fixtures and fittings?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, and incidentally, if you want to do any work on a Carens or for that matter any other model Kia, you try finding a workshop manual.

Their mechanics must be members of the far eastern version of the magic circle 'cos they're not giving anything away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the reason you were getting nowhere near the 56mpg on the motorway, is because you were probably driving like burt reynolds in "smokey and the bandit".
the 54 plate carens should be gently caressed around britains open roads, not driven like eddie kid after a litre of scotch...

less right pedal, enjoy the vistaand conserve your juice...

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife's had here 2.0 diesel Carens for a thousand miles of so now and on average it's doing about 40mpg which is made up of town/motorway driving.

I tried it on my commute to work today which is mainly motorway at speeds of around 50-70mph and it's showing 55mpg. Some times rush hour on the motorway forces you to drive more economically.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got our 58 plate CTDi GS and I can't wait to find out what its consumption will be, one thing is sure, it is NOT a 55 litre tank !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts