Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2014 Sorento KR2 manual for a couple of months now and covered 2k miles.
It tows my caravan beautifully, is very comfortable and cruises motorways quietly - however, I am disappointed with the fuel economy.
I had Honda 2.2 diesels as tow cars before the Sorento, an FR-V manual TD then a CR-V i-Dtec 2.2 manual. The FR-V gave about 47 mpg on motorways and 25-27 towing, the CR-V gave up to 52 on motorways and 25-27 towing a heavier caravan.
I accept that the Sorento is a heavier and more powerful car, but expected similar figures.
The first motorway journey in the Kia was at steady speeds after I had seen the tyres were perished, but gave 48 mpg, which I was happy with.
New tyres were fitted all round and the caravan taken up to York for a few days, fuel consumption given as 26 mpg -so again acceptable.
This week went to Milton Keynes and back solo, 320 mile round trip and got 42 mpg average going down on the A1 but by the time I got home again the average had dropped to 40! All at below the legal speed limits but with a few trips around MK and it’s manic traffic.
I know the stated figures are fantasy at 56 mpg for motorways, but I did expect high forties.

What do you achieve?

Thanks, Pete C.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have had my 2014 Sorento KR2 manual for a couple of months now and covered 2k miles.
It tows my caravan beautifully, is very comfortable and cruises motorways quietly - however, I am disappointed with the fuel economy.
I had Honda 2.2 diesels as tow cars before the Sorento, an FR-V manual TD then a CR-V i-Dtec 2.2 manual. The FR-V gave about 47 mpg on motorways and 25-27 towing, the CR-V gave up to 52 on motorways and 25-27 towing a heavier caravan.
I accept that the Sorento is a heavier and more powerful car, but expected similar figures.
The first motorway journey in the Kia was at steady speeds after I had seen the tyres were perished, but gave 48 mpg, which I was happy with.
New tyres were fitted all round and the caravan taken up to York for a few days, fuel consumption given as 26 mpg -so again acceptable.
This week went to Milton Keynes and back solo, 320 mile round trip and got 42 mpg average going down on the A1 but by the time I got home again the average had dropped to 40! All at below the legal speed limits but with a few trips around MK and it’s manic traffic.
I know the stated figures are fantasy at 56 mpg for motorways, but I did expect high forties.

What do you achieve?

Thanks, Pete C.
As seems usual on this forum, the silence over the last two months has been deafening!

Quick update, the cold weather has now arrived and I did the same MK journey last week.
Fuel consumption is now worse, just over 36 mpg according to the trip computer but a calculation from full tank to full tank revealed 34!
Thirsty beasts aren’t they, now glad I didn’t buy the auto.

Oh, and my insurance renewal came through too - much increased premium AND a compulsory excess of £300. A quick visit to a comparison site sorted out a better policy but I beginning to realise these are very expensive cars to run.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you can get circa 40mpg (summer) and circa 35mpg (winter) - I would say not too bad for the type of vehicle.
We have a 2.0 crdi Sportage auto and we get circa 37mpg in summer,I do not actually check mpg over the winter months because having to warm up/deice for 5 to 10 mins really screws up any mpg figures.

It is a pain with insurance companies and pricing LOL - thank heavens for comparison sites as it really cuts down on inputting personal details :)

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Never ask this question on a forum as you rarely get the truth due to braggers always getting more. I have the Santa fe at the moment and previously Sorento, both autos. Bought for one reason for towing caravan, both excellent at doing the job. As long as a motor does what I buy them to do that is all I am concerned about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts