Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to get really good economy averaging 35mpg around town and nearly 40mpg on a good run but since my last service in November it's reduced to around 26mpg around town and 30mpg on a run so I'm not happy and wondered why it's gone down so much? My car is 12 plate Venga 2 variant.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I used to get really good economy averaging 35mpg around town and nearly 40mpg on a good run but since my last service in November it's reduced to around 26mpg around town and 30mpg on a run
If you have had the car for a while, what sort of hit to the fuel economy did you experience in previous winters?

You make no mention of poor running, misfiring or lack of power so unless you have a fuel leak somewhere, I'd suggest you report the matter as described here to the dealer that performed the service and they can make the necessary checks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have had the car for a while, what sort of hit to the fuel economy did you experience in previous winters?

You make no mention of poor running, misfiring or lack of power so unless you have a fuel leak somewhere, I'd suggest you report the matter as described here to the dealer that performed the service and they can make the necessary checks.
I've had the car for 3 winters and don't remember any difference before and there certainly doesn't seem to be any problems with running it as in lack of power etc.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have never owned a car which achieved the same mpg in winter - I guess it might depend on where you live but generally I would expect to lose at least 5 mpg from december to march if driving in the UK.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello,

Aside from the expected reduction in fuel economy over the winter months (as already mentioned), might it be that the tyres were replaced recently, or, that the tyre pressures are low? Just a thought...

Al.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If we ignore things already mentioned like weather / tyre pressures and assume same journey patterns etc there are 2 other things here worth thinking about.
1) What oil was used - it DOES make a difference on modern engines. A thicker oil increases friction internally and can add a few mpg. Often dealers use whatever is in the "big drum" in the corner of the workshop. It can range across the whole spread of viscosity and isn't necessarily wrong but isn't necessarily ideal either. As an example, my 1.6 petrol Venga takes 5/30 ideally for average UK temperatures, but it can take 0/30 or 10/40 . If 10/40 has been used it is a much thicker oil then 5/30 so increases friction internally and everything has to work a bit harder and reduces mpg. I know it sounds like rubbish but it really does make a difference. The servicing agent will say they have used the right oil as specified, but that doesn't mean its the ideal oil for your particular model but equally isn't wrong either.

2) Were the brakes fiddled with (ie: was it a big service?) and possibly resulting in a sticky caliper? If you park on a slight slope and let the brakes off does it roll without needing the engine to kick start the roll? Mine does (I live on a slight slope, about 5%), even with the heavy auto gearbox

If its any consolation I get 22 -23 mpg around town and around 32mpg on an average run (have seen 45mpg but that was a very long run) - but mine is the 1.6 petrol, 4 speed auto, 2012 trim level 3 which is notoriously thirsty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts