Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd ask for some help, hopefully that's OK.

I have a petrol Sportage Titan (2008) and have found since day one that the fuel economy is simply terrible. I love the Sportage but it's becoming a real drag. Both Kia direct and the dealer have always asserted that the economy I'm getting is right on the money.

I'm finding that on a full tank (£80 at the moment) I'm getting 300 miles with motorway driving and about 220->240 with town driving. If I drive is super carefully on a very long trip and don't overtake loads I can maybe push it to 320 miles for the tank. That seems like about 25 MPG. Is anyone else finding this and is there anything that I/we can do to make it better?

Thanks for any advice.

Dre

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi AndreBoyle

With the profile of a brick our sportage model has never been great, and the petrol even more so.

I have been getting over the winter months around 32.5 MPG with my motor but just lately I have switched off all the gizzmos and the MPG is now 38.8!!!!

Bob

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2006 Sportage EX 4x4 Petrol too. The mileage you get is about right, but I can get about 350 from mine, I keep the tyres at 34psi all the time and make sure that I am not carrying around any unneccesary gear in the boot.

The engine oil I use is 5w30 Semi-Synth and that makes a difference too.

But both my wife and I love the Sportage, the 2 winters before last in Ireland have had bad snow and our Sportage took us everywhere we wanted to go with no fuss.

So we can live with the Consumption.

My wife drives a 1.2 Fiat Bravo during the week at the moment and we use the Sportage at the weekends, that helps too :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 58 plate Titan 3 weeks ago, I've worked out my mpg 3 times on full tanks £75 (diesel) each time.

I've been getting 38.8 regularly, that's with a 60 mile commute daily and some short journeys mixed in each day.

I worked out my mpg on one of those Internet calculator things!

Daz

Ps. I'm getting roughly 375 miles to a tankEdited by: thedazzleruk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2005 XS 2.0 CRDi and reckon I'm getting around 250-275 miles out of an £80 full tank with 1-2 adults and two young children. Expensive, yes but its a 4 x 4 and about as aerodynamic as Jeremy Clarkson's hairstyle.
I've just fitted a Pro-Bitz engine management chip which claims to improve power (25%), torque (30%) and mpg (10-15%). £89 off EBAY so figured worth a punt. Definitely more power at low revs but will need to wait and see on mpg improvements...watch this space!

Trick is to accelerate slowly (you just have to endure the annoyed faces of the BMW drivers in your rear view!) - this helps. MPG definitely in the high 30s on long journeys but (pre-chip install) around 28+ in town and on short runs.

Interested to hear others' experiences.

·
Registered
11 Posts

...fuel economy has dropped from around 300miles per tank to around 270...something wrong somewhere. Perhaps the chip isn't so great after all - think I'll remove it!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Jim I think I would have a check of the brakes & wheel hubs? wonder if you have a sticking brake!!!.

Bob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. Its mostly town driving through and short trips (5-10 miles) which is probably why i'm not getting mpg. What does anyone else get from a tank?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've just completed a 1200 mile trip and was getting in the high 30s....not as good as I would usually get on this trip but I was driving in torrential rain and flooded roads for most of it so that's abound to affect consumption (lights & wipers on for hours, blower working hard to keep the windows dry inside and loads more drag at the tyres).

That said on the return trip of 470 miles I started with a full tank and filled at half full (or empty - up to you!) and arrived home with a a half full tank....so on a long trip I think 500 miles per tank is doable and 450 certainly is.

I do quite a few 5 - 10 mile country trips at home and usually manage around 38 MPG.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting. Could be the manual box though - autos tend to be less economical I think. I reckon I'm only getting about 26mpg on short trips with a full pasenger load (2 adults plus 2 young children). Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It depends on the driver....???

Is there a thread how to save fuel when driving a car?

That should be sticky,it will be helpful to the newbies on driving...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd missed the auto box.

These are the figures from the 2008 brochure for CRDi with 2WD (not that a normal person can achieve these figures in normal driving but they do indicate relative consumption):

Manual: Urban 32.1; Extra-Urban 47.9; Combined 40.4

Automatic: Urban 27.4; Extra-Urban 42.8; Combined 35.3

The automatic is around 12% less economical.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.