Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have owned a 2017 kx-4 for a year now. Was aware of the concerns about poor economy and had low expectations when I bought it (especially for my 2 litre auto). True to form, the car has been showing around 25 mpg around town and barely 40 on the motorway. Average for the year was 30mpg with about 75% town driving. Rubbish.
But it felt like I wasn’t spending that much on diesel. Car was going a fair time between fill-ups.
So I sat down and worked out total economy for the year based on mileage and money spent at the pump/average fuel price over the year. Came in at 44mpg.
This is good news and shows I’m prob getting 30-35 around town and 50+ on the motorway.
how can the car display be so wrong??

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,416 Posts
Is your car set to US gallons or UK gallons? Makes a noticeable difference.

Reactions: r3drover

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
I would guess that averaging the price out is going to cause the big error.

Try something like below to track you MPG based on usage.

Or simply fill to brim, drive. Fill to brim again and work out MPG on that tank. Rinse & repeat as often as you like.

·
Super Moderator
3,608 Posts
How strange. I keep a mpg spreadsheet for recording mpg between fills. Our Sportage has on overall average of 34.85 mpg and some of that is with a caravan in tow (mpg falls of a cliff when towing). The car computer shows an average of 35.3 mpg, not that far out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Or simply fill to brim, drive. Fill to brim again and work out MPG on that tank. Rinse & repeat as often as you like.
yeah it’s possible it’s a little out. But there’s full gas price history online, I know the dates I filled up and I’m pretty good with numbers. Maybe out a little but not 50%. I’m also in the south east so I figure if anything I’m too conservative.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How strange. I keep a mpg spreadsheet for recording mpg between fills. Our Sportage has on overall average of 34.85 mpg and some of that is with a caravan in tow (mpg falls of a cliff when towing). The car computer shows an average of 35.3 mpg, not that far out.
yes that’s much closer and what I would expect

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

But I will try tracking a full tank and see how I go. Good idea.

·
Super Moderator
3,608 Posts
My memory finally kicked into gear (it's an age thing) and there has been a similar discussion on this subject a couple months ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts