Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Let me first tell you, once I get past the name and colour of a car, I'm stuck.

I have a Kia Carens '07 reg. Its a 5 seater, petrol, manual, basic model. When I first got it, I was impressed that in daily urban travel, I was getting 80 miles to the quarter tank.

After it's first official MOT in May 2010, I was informed (by the local Kia service dept.) that I needed3 new tyres so I had to replace all four.

Apart from that the car (they said) was fine.

However, I soon realised that I was only getting 60 miles to a quarter tank. I asked the Kia agent and he shrugged it off, saying that the car was fine and that the new tyres should not make any difference.

I've mentioned it to various people, more car-minded than me, and they all express great surprise at the 25% in fuel consumption. Some say that new tyres may make a SLIGHT difference one way or the other but 25%..........?

Can anyone offer some suggestions........sympathy??

Thanks

Stephen

·
Registered
34 Posts
Stephen,Welcome to the forum and happy new year.
Having got the formalities out of the way, I have to say that your unusual fuel economy units (mpqt) suggest you may be relying on the fuel gauge too much. I estimate the figures you quote work out at 29.0 mpg and 21.8 mpg respectively. But how accurate are these figures? One litre adrift can make a difference of 10 miles, well in my Venga CRDi it might be 12 miles.
I gather the official figures are 25.4 mpg (urban), 40.9 mpg (extra urban) and 33.6 mpg (combined) so you are not buying this model for its fuel economy.
Depending on the conditions, how you drive, type of fuel and measurement accuracy maybe the variations you are seeing may be just about understandable. But putting it down to new tyres seems a bit far fetched.
I would try re-setting the trip each time you fill up for the most reliable estimates. Then if you only do urban conditions the variables are your driving style and the type of fuel. You don't say how many miles the tyres lasted but there may be a clue there.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Agree totally with the above post, far too many variables to "diagnose" any potential fault. Only way to check mpg is to top the tank to it's brim (a pain in the a$$ with the diesel & I have to do it every damn day!) then reset the trip meter to record the mileage done which you can then work out the mpg by the amount of fuel used.

As long as the new tyres are correctly inflated they should make no noticeable difference to the mpg.

I get appx 14,000 miles from a set of "budget" front tyres & double that from the rears but then I'm in an industry that destroys tyres due to so many stop start journeys with lots of full lock turns. I've never noticed the make of tyre influencing the mpg at all.

Whilst the official figure is 25.4 urban on the petrol it's 36.2 on the diesel. I always allow a 10% deduction for the "job" so when I bought my 1st Mk3 the dealer & I worked out it would probably do somewhere appx 30mpg however I have never got more than 26mpg on a complete urban day. This is1of only 2 criticisms I have of my car (the other being the bloody awful dpf system), with fuel prices as they are it MAY force me to look at alternatives when it's time to change but the overall suitablity of the Carens does the job perfectly for me, does it for you?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Sounds like a I used to get 80 miels on a tenner, now only get 60.. thats because a tenner used to buy 2 gallons, now only buys 1.5...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Supacabby said:
Agree totally with the above post, far too many variables to "diagnose" any potential fault. Only way to check mpg is to top the tank to it's brim (a pain in the a$$ with the diesel & I have to do it every damn day!) then reset the trip meter to record the mileage done which you can then work out the mpg by the amount of fuel used.

As long as the new tyres are correctly inflated they should make no noticeable difference to the mpg.

I get appx 14,000 miles from a set of "budget" front tyres & double that from the rears but then I'm in an industry that destroys tyres due to so many stop start journeys with lots of full lock turns. I've never noticed the make of tyre influencing the mpg at all.

Whilst the official figure is 25.4 urban on the petrol it's 36.2 on the diesel. I always allow a 10% deduction for the "job" so when I bought my 1st Mk3 the dealer & I worked out it would probably do somewhere appx 30mpg however I have never got more than 26mpg on a complete urban day. This is1of only 2 criticisms I have of my car (the other being the bloody awful dpf system), with fuel prices as they are it MAY force me to look at alternatives when it's time to change but the overall suitablity of the Carens does the job perfectly for me, does it for you?

Hi Supacabby,

Good to see you back in the land of 'Kia'. I sold my Carens last year and bought an 08 Sportage CRDi 4WD to cope with all the snow which has become a regular feature of life in the frozen north (we've had snow for the last 7 winters - but it seems to be hanging around for much longer). So I post now on the Sportage page.

Fuel consumption is a big topic on the Sportage pages too. I've 2 comments. First, everyone is suffering in the cold weather - the oil is thick, the lights are on, the blower is working flat out and the tyres may be struggling. The second comment is it's worth reading how the tests to establish the official figures are done - on a rolling road and in +20 to + 30 C!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice to see you on the forums here Richard, hope the Sportage is suiting you ok & all's well in the "frozen north" lol.

I'm now on my 4th Carens, still got the dpf & mpg problems, some things will never change! I'm waiting for the new 1600cc to make its debut & a dealer willing to lend me 1 for a weekend to try some comparisons rather than the official tests in (as you say) somewhat warmer & drier conditions than we're used to!

Regards,

Mark.

PS: Guess the Sportage makes a slightly better tow car than the Carens too!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Supacabby said:
Nice to see you on the forums here Richard, hope the Sportage is suiting you ok & all's well in the "frozen north" lol.

I'm now on my 4th Carens, still got the dpf & mpg problems, some things will never change! I'm waiting for the new 1600cc to make its debut & a dealer willing to lend me 1 for a weekend to try some comparisons rather than the official tests in (as you say) somewhat warmer & drier conditions than we're used to!

Regards,

Mark.

PS: Guess the Sportage makes a slightly better tow car than the Carens too!

Hi Mark,

Not wanting to go too far off topic, yes the Sportage is a great tow car - not as spacious as the Carens and theconsumption has increased from around 42 MPG combined to 37 MPG. I've fitted a front tow bar (Watling Engineers) which really helps with our driveway and some slipways. I'm a bit out of touch with the Carens but I thought all the models were 1600 now?

Richard
Edited by: Blow-in

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not yet, the 1600 diesel is due in March, well that's the latest option, after December last year, some things just don't change!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bit late replying but these are my figures for an 08 CRDi 2litre.
longer journeys @ 75mph = 39mpg

shorter, varied roads, towns =37mpg

towing a 950kg caravan @ 60mph in 6th =29mpg

Ditto in 5th = 32mpg

summary: I'm pleased with towing figures but would like more on long runs. The Carens isno comparison to my last car, a 1998 Pug 306 1.9 non turbo or HDI which always gave 48 - 53 mpg at 70+ but less than 30 with the caravan which we never 60 mph with!

·
Registered
476 Posts
No comparison? Boy that's an understatement & a half lol, the Carens has almost double the bhp for starters!

I'd be happy with those figures, my 25mpg is horrid but the job is most unkind to mpg on anything, I'm still at least 10mpg behind an Octavia though, for me an unfair comparison again.

Best "mpv" I had for mpg was a 2004 Zafira 2.0dti, beat my Scenic in almost every way, just a shame the Carens can't get a bit closer to the 33mpg I averaged, especially at £1.34 per litre!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Poor grammar on my part, I'm afraid. Perhaps I meant " the Carens is not comparable" because of the vast differences. Twice the power and twice the torque is not to be sneezed at! I'm now in a car share scheme for commuting to work so on a daily basis mpg is not so important.
Safe driving, Tim

·
Registered
476 Posts
It was a "flippant" comment Tim, wasn't being nasty!

Car share schemes are to be applauded, I wish there was more "drive" to encourage them, it might make for a smoother rush hour & may even make the M25 driveable lol.

Mark.

·
Registered
99 Posts
im amazed how taxis and hauliers are still in business really with the cost of fuel i think when i started in haulage in 74 derv was about 12.5 pper litre i used on average 150ltrs a day @8mpg[ish] best,i did uprate my vehicle and achieve 10mph in 1980 but in 1994 i pulled out of trucking as the rates didnt equate to costs and i woudnt work at a loss, so an equation Mr Suppacab is would the extra cost of purchase of the octavia over the carens be viable allbeit given the axtra mpg saved over the period you would keep said vehicle and depreciation [mouthful innit] your carens may still be the best buy
hopefully you are VAT registered that helps

·
Registered
476 Posts
No vat on taxi fares so not registered but fuel cost is a taxable expense so offset against my profit (profit: lol at that statement!).

I've tried allsorts of ways of buying cars & running them over the last 34 years, now I'm more interested in comfort than speed or cost so an Octy doesn't got a look in, at 6ft 3" there simply isn't enough legroom & I hate getting kneed in the back several times a shift, the Superb looks nice though but no rear wiper puts me off, I think that's a big safety issue when I do so many tight turns & reversing at night.

Depreciation is horrid, 50,000 miles a year on a double manned car, throw it away after 100k or be prepared to start entertaining big bills with engines/gearboxes etc, never an easy decision what to do!

I was lucky with my current Carens, got it at 3yrs old in white (which I need) & only 36,000 miles done as it was an ex motability car. Price was right so it had to be done. Hope to keep it at least 2 years, am booked in for a test drive on the new 1600 diesel when it gets here but not sure how that will cope as Brighton is very hilly. It only drops 12bhp & the torque figures look good on paper but then so do the mpg figures for the 2.0 &I know that's a lie lol.

I've also got a class 1 licence, got some experience of tramping, wasn't for me but I can see many hauliers dropping out as the costs become more apparent, the consumer is suffering & the supermarkets squeezing as much as they can, only option is a tax reduction, on that note I'll smile sweetly& say good night lol.

·
Registered
161 Posts
cut the fuel duty in half...is it 80 p per litre.raise the tax on alchol from supermarkets thats money back in pples pockets which will encourage to spend again retail wise ,and on home buying.fuel is essentiall. alcahol is not.they will get the duty back from other items bought,if pple can afford to spend.sorry bit off topic....supercab,well pleased with my soul crdi engine..averaging around 40 mpg whatever i do.i think the engine if placed in the carens will be great particuly if its mated to a 6 speed manual gearbox[if ive been informed correctly][ps.miss my carens]

·
Registered
476 Posts
If I get 30mpg (urban) from a heavier Carens than the Soul I'd be over the moon! Glad yours is making you smile, that's what the worlds about after all, I think!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts