Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to forum and have recently purchased a Venga 1.4 air after most of my driving life having Fords.
So far I've filled up several times and the most I've managed is 29mpg on a longish journey and only 19mpg about town. The car has done 67000 miles is this usual?
I've started to think about remapping, would that help? Suggestions would be appreciated as also thinking of selling on after only one month and going back to a Ford or Honda.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
Hi & welcome.

I have moved this to the Venga sections as owners are best placed to answer.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Its not good.
I am not familiar with the "Air" what spec is it ie 2,3 or 4? Is it an auto, is it petrol?
If recent, all this Euro 5 or 6 emission compliance knocks a considerable amount off the mpg.
If it has cruise control, use it, it makes a huge difference on mine. (Even more on the diesel engined cars)

It is favoured by many of us with arthritis as it is very esy to get in and out of. (The Sportage like many of its competitive models, has a huge sill to lift one's feet up and over. Many others which at first appear to be direct competitors either have low seats or high sills. (BMax, 200x etc) If you are unaffected by arthritis then you have a wide choice, but the Kia includes various features which are extra on Fords and most other. Also if you look at most other autos they are dual clutch not full auto, while the Kia auto 6 box is sealed for life. (I heard that Ford had to replace many thousands of dual clutch units in the BMax)

However, no, the Venga is not an economical car I get an overall 32-35mpg from mine (66 reg 1.6 petrol Venga 4 auto 6) the diesels are very much better as you would expect and would still have one if they made it with auto. (Though the DPF regen/burn-off knocks a big hole in the mpg figure.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks for your thoughts.
It's the 1.4 air 1 version manual without cruise control. I purchased it as it has a good ride height and whilst looking at details on line saw that it should be capable of 35mpg about town and upto 55mpg on motorway journeys, very misleading. If I could get somewhere near what you are I would feel much happier.

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
whilst looking at details on line saw that it should be capable of 35mpg about town and upto 55mpg on motorway journeys, very misleading.

I take it that was factory figures. Remember these figures are not from road usage. Also you are not looking at a new car. So a lot will depend on previous owners and how they have treated the car.
A lot depends on the type of traffic in towns etc.
Example while commuting I can get 50+ mpg on the way to work. Yet on the way home I'm lucky to get 30 mpg.

Maybe get it fully serviced. Make sure no brakes binding etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was supposed to have been fully serviced when I bought it. The figures I saw were supposedly from owners, if only I had seen this forum before. I will try my local kia dealer/garage and see what they say.
An old Cortina 2000e automatic was more economical that I had during the 80's.
I think this may be a very short term form of transportation.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The 1.4 and 1.6 Gamma series petrol engines (I assume yours is petrol at 19mpg?) are notoriously thirsty (they date from around 2009 originally so probably 2007 on a designers drawing board).
The Venga itself is somewhat lacking in aerodynamic "achievements" in favour of a high, squarish body.
Which essentially means it is unlikely to get anywhere near the Kia figures unless you drive like Miss Daisy with wind assistance (which is pretty much how the figures for this age of engine were generated "in the lab")
I have the 1.6 auto on a 2012 plate and get 22mpg around town. If I drive like Miss daisy on a run (over at least 35 miles, engine getting properly warmed up) it shoots up to 35mpg or more (steady 60mph, no harsh acceleration, pre-empting traffic light changes so not stopping etc) On a 60mph run between Kings Lynn and Yarmouth in July it managed an indicated 46mpg (so about 43mpg really)
The Venga is a great useful car as it is spacious for its footprint and generally reliable and has high seat height for older folks and has quite a few toys but it's no Hypermiler.

Regarding remapping. I did find a company that can remap the petrol but only to add 6bhp iirc so not really worth it.

If you want high mpg you need something other than a Venga (while test driving any other car, if the car has a instant fuel reading, try to see what that says around town and on a faster road if possible. That should then give you an idea of mpg in the real world rather than the "optimistic" lab figures)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, thanks for your input.
I think this car has been badly described as being ecodynamic and not deserving of this badge.
I have now started to look for a replacement vehicle. I'm so glad that it wasn't purchased when new.
I wish I could get somewhere near to the mpg that you are getting.
Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check tyre pressures, they seem to make a decent difference on my 1.6 auto which is doing 35-40 mpg in the winter months with air con on most of the time.
29 mpg is low so clearly something amiss but as cars get older it can be cumulative so it could be lots of small factors contributing such as poor servicing ( mine was supposed to have been 'fully serviced but in reality the dealer just did an oil/filter change and missed the very overdue autobox oil which helped economy when changed ), tyre pressures, brakes could be sticking a bit ( check wheels after a run to see if one is hotter than the others ), all manner of things.

I would start by ticking off things that it is cheap to check before ditching the car, including trying some super unleaded which certainly helps my auto run a bit better. Also with any car that is lowish mileage, worth getting it nicely warmed up and driving it like you stole it, plenty of revs, blow the cobwebs out as some cars like a good thrashing once in a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, thanks for your time and views on this. As I now have a bit of spare time will give it a more thorough look over, I was just so disappointed after changing marque after such a long time and hearing how good they are to find running costs so high.
As for putting the foot down was scared to as the fuel indicator drops fast enough as it is but will give that a try as my other half suffers with motion sickness and she seems better in the Venga, perhaps will keep it just for when she travels.
Glad I still at least have a 2nd older diesel car that returns 38-40mpg approx on short journeys and 60+ on longer ones which I now use more.
Thanks again, will see how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts