Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for your contribution.
Most of my mileage is on quiet rural roads driving at 50-60 mph, using 5th & 6th gears. It could be worth using 4th & 5th which would increase rpm and might well result in improved economy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a UK May 2017 GT Line S diesel Automatic from new and I have just covered 51k trouble free miles. I do a 70/30 motorway urban split and I have tracked every single fill up from day 1. My typical commute is 28 miles each way so the car is always warm.

I drive around 75mph on the motorway and accelerate maybe slightly more aggressively than the average driver in general but not a boy racer by an means and I use cruise control everywhere.

The best I have ever had was on a 300 mile round trip and I got 56mpg and I have averaged 49.7mpg in 51k miles with my worst tank being 46mpg. I only use Shell standard fuel and I put in Shell Diesel V power every 3rd tank which allegedly cleans up your injectors and keeps the engine running smoother etc. For an extra fiver every 3rd tank it seems like a small insurance price to pay. On the V power tank it will get around 1-2mpg more but does not cover the additional cost of putting in V power. The biggest contribution to mpg is always driving style and speed.

Interestingly the mpg trip computer hasn't been reset since 30k miles and this only records 45.6mpg so is far from accurate. I normally find these to over read, not under read.

Every other 1.6 diesel I have had (not Kia's) has always managed 52mpg-60mpg but these have all been manuals, not automatics. Diesel engines seem no more efficient since 2008 which was my first.

Maybe the drop in mpg for me is due to the auto box not being as efficient. You would have thought with 7 gears this would not be the case! At 75mph the car sits at 2000rpm which is the same as my old manual Ford Focus in 6th gear at the same speed. No idea what this 7th gear actually does!

City centre drives and short cold drives can see the trip information summary that appears when you turn off the car be between 30 and 40mpg. I have a 2.0l petrol MX-5 that gets thrashed that averages 35mpg!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have recently replaced my 2008 Ceed LS CRDI 1.6 hatchback with a 2018 Ceed 2 1.6 CRDI ISG hatchback. The new Ceed should be 23% more fuel efficient on the Combined cycle (74.3 mpg versus 60.1 mpg). Given that my old Ceed had an actual Combined average of 55.7 mpg, calculated over 2 yrs and 20.0k miles, then ,theoretically at least, the new car should be achieving approx 68.8 mpg. The car has now covered approx 2000 miles and the Combined average is 54.8 mpg, a figure less than my old Ceed LS. Moreover, the 2000 miles has been driven on quiet rural roads, during off-peak hours, for approx 90% of that mileage and has been driven during the summer months. Once winter driving gets underway, the Combined average mpg will deteriorate further.
On the question of performance, the new Ceed does not come close to matching the on-the-road performance of the old car, especially on hills. A gradient which could be accelerated up easily in 3rd gear, with the option of moving up into 4th gear in the old Ceed , the new car struggles to cope with in 3rd gear, even when I'm in the appropriate gear.; and this despite the fact that the new Ceed has a more powerful engine( 134 bhp versus 114 bhp ).
I would welcome any comments. Am I being unrealistic in terms of my expectations of fuel economy and performance??
The car is a Kia approved vehicle and is still under warranty.
I had a diesel i30 with the same engine , the performance , torque of my 2013 ceed isn't a patch on my old car , the bhp , torque figures are the same in the data as the old i30 but it doesn't feel like I have asked them to check for problems but the dealer says everything is ok I used to drive to Plymouth from Dorset and hills I could go up in 4th I have to used 2nd on the ceed and the fuel consumption is rubbish also

21 - 25 of 25 Posts