Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I was wondering what sort of fuel economy people are getting with their Sportages - mine seems a bit thirsty so I thought a comparison could be useful.

Mine is a 2010 2 litre diesel 4WD 150bhp Titan. The economy is averaging 29.38mpg over the past 6 months, and ranges between 24 and 32 depending on the fuel used (Morrison's giving the best MPG oddly enough, and BP Ultimate being considerably worse than BP normal).
IMG_1700.PNG IMG_1702.PNG
IMG_1700.PNG

Super Moderator
Sadly you need to add some detail to just what you do with the car...
Difference in fuel brands could simply be down to the trips you made on that tank full. Weather etc.

MPG is really going to depend on the type of driving you do.
Lots of short trips with a cold engine (Kia's are not known for fast warm up) will kill MPG. Long M/Way at a decent speed is going to be good for MPG.

Example.
My old Stonic (petrol) a short 5 mile trip could easily see low 20 MPG, but go to 16 miles & it would be in the 40 MPG. All local roads.
Do the same in the new Niro & I'm looking @ 30 to 40 MPG & 50 to 60 MPG for the same trips.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yep should have added that. These are figures over the last 6 months of mostly mixed cycle driving with very little on the motorway. Most journeys are 10-20 miles. Motorway driving seems to average at about 36MPG. Over lockdown mileage has been far less than normal. Assuming most tankful are treated the same, it鈥檚 pretty interesting how the different fuels perform.

Registered
On assumption you are not doing all short journeys then I would suggest you change the injector seals. 4 x copper washers at the bottom of the injectors. Its a very straight forward job to do & should be part of routine maintenance at an interval such as T Belt. If your injector seals are leaking you mpg will go to pot & you will have a noticeable rich smell of burned/unburned fuel on startup. I had mine done at approx 150k miles....the ones that came out looked very eroded & I only used premium fuels.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Worth a look - no idea if they鈥檝e been done or not. Just had a look at motoreu.com and they reckon the official figures are 27 MPG urban and 35 combined, with 23 urban in the real world. Mine does better than that.

Registered
Although not exactly comparable - we have a 2008 2.0 crdi (138hp) Auto.
On medium runs (20-35 miles) we get 35-37mpg in reasonable ambient temps.
On a long run of over 200 miles we have occasionally seen 40 mpg (in warm weather).
I have never noticed much mpg difference between different brands of fuel - as iooi posted any differences might be down to driving pattern and/or ambient temps/road conditions/traffic etc.

Registered
Pic of two of mine that I had attached to the keyring, don't know why but the wear wasn't uniform all around the washer. They eventually leak compression into the valve cover area. I would discuss with your mechanic whether or not to change these, without symptoms of rich fumes it is down to personal preference.

Attachments

Registered
sorry Christog...to actually answer your question:
35 mpg is what my sporty was doing & it was pretty consistent
These figures are based on a 40 min commute to work and 40 mins back in evening 5 days a week only using premium diesel. 2 miles is my norm to get engine up to temp, 10 mins commute to motorway, 20 mins commute on motorway & 10 mins off motorway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts