Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. New here. I got my Kia Ceed 1.4 Blue Edition about 6 months ago and I have noticed it revs really high I mean if I'm doing 80mph it revs at 3 and over and my fuel consumption is awful. Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi All. New here. I got my Kia Ceed 1.4 Blue Edition about 6 months ago and I have noticed it revs really high I mean if I'm doing 80mph it revs at 3 and over and my fuel consumption is awful. Any advice would be appreciated

Hi 'onlywayisJ' and welcome to the forum.

My advice is that you would reap cost benefits by driving at lower speeds and of course, as the maximum speed limit is 70 mph in the UK, you would be safer, as would the rest of us.

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
Need t o step away from racing tracks then :wink:

Not bad MPG for 1700 miles. It will go up.

Assuming that you do a lot of short trips given the months owned and miles done. That will never give great MPG. As to rev's and speed. You need to lower your speed then, to get rev's lower. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Was your last car a diesel?

·
Registered
374 Posts
3000 rpm at 80 is about 26.6 mph/1000 rpm, at 70 you would be doing about 2625 rpm. That is a bit higher than mine revs at 70 mph, (1.4 T petrol but not a Kia) which is approx 2400 rpm.

But compared to non-turbo petrols of old its positively long legged. A Golf I had was doing 3,500 rpm and a Nissan Micra exactly the same. Go back to the 70's and a 1600 Hillman Avenger was doing 4,400 rpm.

Making a car longer geared does not make it better on fuel. If its too high geared it will not pull in top and if you persist will simply waste fuel. Kia will have done loads of testing before settling on the gearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts