Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'd like to know what kind of fuel consumption figures people are finding?

My Sportage is 3 months old.

Model: 1.7D, GSE

Mileage: 6,000 KM (50% motorway, 50% urban approx)

Consumption: 6.2 litres/100Km according to the car (45.56 MPG)

Edited by: Baz53

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think mine are a bit disappointing - I get nowhere near the "average" figure of 37 mpg from the official tests (yes, I know the tests aren't realistic). Car is 2 months old, has 2000 miles on the clock, and I drive much steadier than with previous cars

KX2 petrol 2.0

mixed driving, but there is nothing much "urban" around here

struggle to get over 32 mpg, best I've ever had was 35 on a 90 mile run

·
Registered
260 Posts
KX3 AWD 26 urban, maybe 40 on a long drive but as soon as I start hitting side roads and gear changes it plummets.

2 mile drive to the station (which is technically urban) 16 MPG.

Again nothing like KIA claims.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Reference "KIA claims"

Kia do not provide any consumption figures - the one's they quoteare provided by an independant testing body and are determined by a strict set of criteria that, by and large, you would never encounter under normal driving conditions !!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I dont know if people are judging consumption by the average consumption on the trip computer but mine shows average to be about 3 mpg more than actual so would try working it out at the pumps.(dont do this unless you want to be even more disapointed)

·
Registered
140 Posts
You will only be disappointed if you believe the consumption figures that are produced by the independant testing body for the whole industry.It is, of course, in the industrys interest to quote these "garbage" figures - after all they can blame someone else if ever questioned. No one in the trade believes the published consumptionfigures.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Follow this link for the "official government fuel calculator"

http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/

The official figures for my car are :-

Vehicle details for KIA
Sportage 2.0 CRDi AWD (18" wheels),
Vehicle details<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Manufacturer
KIA

ModelSportage,
Model Year 2011

Description 2.0
CRDi AWD (18" wheels)

Engine
capacity 1995

Transmission/gearbox
A6

Fuel type Diesel

Vehicle tax details

Standard
rate 12 months £210.00

Tax band I

CO2
emissions (g/km) 183

Fuel consumption

Imperial
Urban (cold) 31.7

Imperial
Extra Urban 47.9

Imperial
Combined 40.4

Metric Urban
(cold) 8.9

Metric Extra
Urban 5.9

Metric
Combined 7.0

My trip after 9000 miles of motorway and urban is 37 mpg.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have never had a car in many years of motering that has come anywhere near official figures but i put this down to the kind of usage i put my car to so am not personaly disapointed but many people still beleive these figures.My 6 month old 1200 mile 2ltr petrol Sportage does about 2mpg more than my previous 10 year old Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.5 petrol so havnt we come a long way.If the banks were quoting these figures they would be done for miss selling in a few years time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just checked my consumption on a "full to full" basis for 168 miles of mixed motoring, 2200 on the clock, 20 petrol KX2. It came to 26mpg, against 29.7 indicated by the trip computer.

This raises several issues:
1 I got better consumption from my 1965 Rover 2000 - lower profile but heavier and very old technology. Why no improvement?
2 The trip computer is presumably part of the ECU. If it doesn't know how much fuel it is using how does it manage the engine efficiently?
3 If my 2003 Honda Jazz can measure consumption to within an eggcupfull in a tank of petrol why do other makers seem to find it so difficult?
4 Even allowing for the unreality of the standard tests, this seems very poor.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sid Rumpo said:
2 The trip computer is presumably part of the ECU. If it doesn't know how much fuel it is using how does it manage the engine efficiently?

the trip computer is a predictive instrument it predicts your mpgusing the actual and the expected if you continued to drive in this manor, from this is calculated the remaining miles in the tank left before the fuel light comes on only the instantaneous reading is actually whats going on as you drive along prove this by turning your trip to mpg then fill up pull away and watch what happens to the mpg figure

·
Registered
4 Posts
The trip computer is in the instrument cluster, it does get the fuel used from the ECU, but the distance travelled usually comes over the CAN network from the ABS module.If you do a lot of stop / start journeys it can lose the fuel pulses on a crank. TheLFW is usually done on the last 500 miles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
These MPG tests are conducted under strict conditions, in a non wind enviroment and on a flat rolling road.
The sportage is a big and heavy and not exactly aero dynamic. So under test conditions , accelerating slowly up to a certain speed, and keeping it there etc , no doubt with somebody with a very light foot is in no way comparable to how it needs to work on normal roads/in city etc.

Just the way it goes I suppose...

Slim

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it's any help here is a link to my Fuelly page.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/sparky2009/sportage

This is a tank full to tank full logging system. It does not rely on the vagaries of the CPU/EMU or transducers. I log the odometer reading and what I put in at the pump.

Fuelly is easy to use and it's free, there is even an app for using with a mobile, but I don't use that.

The very high MPGs were recorded during 2 x 300mile plus journeys, mainly motorways and empty A roads with a 65mph cruising speed. The 45mpg approx did include some time crawling through Glasgow, the 55mpg figure was achieved driving back from Mull of Kintyre to Manchester, between midnight and 6 am. I think I saw about 20 other vehicles between one side of Glasgow and the other!

There is a huge difference between that and my local usage and commuting driving. My sportage is Auto Transmission, which does not help.

My previous car a 2L turbodiesel Octavia Estate used to return 55mpg, even when I 'pressed on'.
On a long journey at low cruising speed, I often got 70+ mpg!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Sparky, excellent site and have now signed up to start using.. will provide some great stats... note you have 50/50 City vs Highway, have you just left that part as per default on site rather than trying to estimate split when putting your refuel data in?

Cheers

Max

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If the tests gave more realistic figures the CO figures would be higher and we would all be paying a lot more annual car tax. The tests are just as unrealistic for all manufacturers and stop start just adds to the nonsense. Stop Start helps on the official test no doubt but in the real world does very little, on a trip on the motorway it does nothing at all.
Has anyone considered the accuracy of the mileage recorder. On a trip to Scotland the other week I noted on the way there that we appeared to have covered less miles than in previous cars, surely Scotland has not got closer. Over the last17 years we have made exactly the same trip twice a year using the same route and we still have the figures.Checked it on the way home and it was quite a difference. The Garmin said 430 miles and the Ceedsaid 415 miles, almost 4% difference. In the past our Focus recorded 427 miles and the G o l f 450 miles. The Ceed mileageis 8.4%less than the G o l f thus any mpg comparison between the cars needs this factor applying. The G o l f always averaged about 60mpg on the trip which we thoughtto be excellent but when correctedby 8.4% it drops to 55 mpgwhich the Ceed can easily match and beat given good traffic conditions. All the cars have had the standard factory fit wheels/tyres thus no reason to consider any inacuracy there.

Its worth checking the accuracy of the figure against another car or satnav, a low reading will give you a lower mpg figure when comparing to other cars.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sportage 3, 1.7dwith 2k miles on the clock after 1 month
Average 46mpg this includes a week in the highlands fully loaded with 4 xbikes on the back

All the rest is a mixture

Performance is very good as the engine is quite punchy although it does not encourage fast driving, more of a relaxedpace.

Very pleased with the car which replaced a new shape C class 220d estate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sportage 2. 1.7d.

Done just over 8k - mainly commuting down dual carriageways door to door. Average of 48/50mpg. Av speed c50/60mph depending on traffic.

Did a m/way run to Leeds with a roof box this weekend - roundtrip of c500miles and fully loaded on the way back. Very wet as you will all know but consumption dropped to 40mpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
KX-3 2.0 Diesel.

3100 miles on the clock and averaged 38mpg overall. Just completed a 450 mile round trip this weekend and averaged 43mpg on the way down ( 60 - 65 mph and on the return fully loaded (had to inflate tyres to max - 38 front and 39 rear) and 3 passengers and cruising at 60mph where possible achieved 47.4mpg on the computer on a mixture of dual carriageway / a little motorway / twisty country roads and lots of roadworks with 30mph limit.

Have found the computer reading to be fairly accurate over a tank full.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts