Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 1.3 Rio done less than 50000 just had full service but getting very poor fuel consumption around 30-35mpg on a daily run of 70miles when I use my wife 05 Rio done higher mileage I get nearer 45mpg Any suggestions

When I fill up I do get a smell of petrol for a couple of days

Another Question the seats in my wife car are far more comfortable than mine is it feesible to update mine by replacing them from a newer model

thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum buldman.

Have you checked the tyre pressures on your car? It sounds as though you might have a fuel leak somewhere if you can smell petrol, but I'm not a mechanic so hopefully viking paul will be able to answer better than me.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
When were the spark plugs last changed? This was something that was ignored on my 03 RiountilI got the car (at about 70,000 miles!). Also, check the air filter. Did they change it at the service? Also, check when the fuel filter was last changed. Some garages' idea of what a "full service" is can vary a lot. With mostly motorway driving, you should be getting around the 40 mpg mark.
The smell of fuel is a bit worrying, the last thing you want is for the car to go up in flames! Check all the fuel lines for leaks after filling up. Check the fuel overflow pipe near the filler cap has not come off or is leaking, or that the filler cap is sealing properly. Also, make sure you are not trying to get too much in the tank and having it overflow.

Just because your 01 Rio has a low mileage does not necessarily mean it will be better mechanically than the newer car with a higher mileage. Lots of short stop start journeys can really do a lot of damage. Plus, these days it's very easyfor someone to reset the electronic oodometer with whatever mileage they want, so unless you've had the car from new, or have a full service history, you have to take the odo reading with a big pinch of salt.

Finally, the other thing to think about is that a lot of changes were made to the Rio at the beginning of 03, so your older 01 Riowill bedifferent to your 05 Rio. I think these changes were mainly to the suspension, but someone here might know if there are any engine management differences.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
many thanks service included plugs and all filters and I also put in a can of injector fluid and now seem to be getting closer to 40mpg I will check the fuel lines at weekend

thanks again

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention, have you checked your brakes to see if they are binding? The rear hubs on the old Rio can sometimes cause problems when the car is not used much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I've just joined the site so hope to learn a lot from all you seasoned veterans on here!

I bought a '04 plate Rio 1.3 petrol 2 weeks ago with only 20,000 miles on the clock and am astounded that I have averaged an amazing 65mpg
just running to work and back (8 miles each way) and around town including sat in traffic.

This is a massive difference from the 32mpg I was previously getting from my 2.0 Primera Sport which was my previous car. Wondered if anyone else was getting as good fuel economy as this?

Regards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.