Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, recently purchased a 2008 2.0crdi Sportage with 12000 miles on the clock (ex motorbility car) . Bit concerned about consumption as only getting 19 mpg doing local sensible driving (checked using brim to brim calculation) I think this should be higher, any views would be appreciated,also can anything be done by Kia garage to improve on this.Wondered also if the Sportage has a low fuel indicator as no light comes up when the ignition is first switched on.
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there,just to confirmthere is a low fuel warning light. It doesn't illuminate initially when you turn on the ignition, only when the low fuel level is reached. Also some thing else that may be a factorin your MPG calculations. When you fill up and the fuel pump trigger clicks to stop the flow of fuel, your tank won't be full. This is quite a common issue with the sportage. I can quite often get another 8-10 more litres of fuel in there when the pump trigger has clicked off. So i suggest you re-calculate your consumption taking these factors into account. Also for your info, the tank capacity is 58 litres on the diesel and the low warning light should illuminate when the level drops to about 9-10 litres. Hope this info is of help to you and happy calculating. Supersportage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your assistance,particularly re the low fuel light. What does concern me though was thatprior to the last but one fill up, the fuel gauge read a little under quarter full, no low fuel light was evident , however I managed to put just under 57 litres in.
Yesterday I topped up and believe that after a series of trigger clicks did manage to fill to the brim, I thencalculated that the consumption was 19mpg.In a couple of days I'm off on a long trip, some 600 miles of motorway driving so I'll calculate at each fill up. Thanks once again for your input

·
Registered
197 Posts
There is something wrong here...I drive a 2008 CRDi 4WD manual and even during the recent cold & snowy period was managing 35 MPG on local runs well loaded. Is yours an automatic which will make a difference of course (but not that much)? Would you like a second check on caluclations? What are you using to convert litres to gallons?

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Richard,thanks for responding. My sportage is a 2WD auto . Calculation wise I'm using 4.5 litres to the gallon. I thought when I first filled up that I managed to get quite a lot of fuel in the tank (57.6litres to be precise) and had no low fuel indication, I was assuming that the gauge, which was reading just under a quarter full was fairly accurate.
As stated previously, when I filled up a few days back (2nd time of re-fuelling) the tank took 18litres and then started to blow back. I had done exactly77.6 miles (as per the tripmeter) hence my calc of 19 mpg. What do you think
I'm about to do a long run down to southern France, motoway almost all the way so will check during this journey.

Colin

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have found that different pumps deliver diesel at different speeds, the faster ones create a lot of foam which takes time to settle back to a liquid. This foam backs up in the filler tube and cuts the pump off.

Ed

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hello Colin,

I use 4.55 litres to the gallon but that does not make much difference. Shaz's comment is interesting - one way to interpret it is you could cram in even more making the figues look even worse...however part of the message has to be to take figures over a longer period to obtain a true indication. Temperature plays a part (some advice in the USA is to refuel in the early mornnig when the fuel is at its most dense) and as does the levelness of the filling station forecourt. It will be interesting to see how you fare on a longer journey. I've only had my low fuel light come on once and was able to put in 57 litres then.

Richard

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi, I managed to get 42 litres in my sportages tankand thought it was 11 Gallon ??? until i looked on my phone android app as it must have been US gallons as the US gallon is infact lesser than the UK Gallon ??? so 42ltrs = 9.23 UK Gallons. and over the 300miles driven averaged out to 32mpg ?? better than the 27mpg i thought i was getting ???? but no way near the MPG you guys are averageing
checked it out on this site

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/driver-tools/litres-to-gallons-converter/

so I hope it comes in useful

Lance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts