Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
Looking at purchasing a Kia Optima ISG3 1.6 Estate or Saloon, 19 model. My only concern is the fuel consumption what is it like and is there a difference between saloon and estate, any comments would be great to hear

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just coming up to 11,000 miles in the SW, GT Line model 2018 (diesel) and cumulative average from day 1 is 45 mpg. Would have thought this would be pretty similar to saloon.

The mileage is a combination of long motorway journies and round the doorstep. The range is probably circa 36 mpg to 55 mpg, 36 being round the doorsteps on a cold day.

One thing which I have observed is the use of a roofbox on journies from North East to London has not had a tremendous negative effect of those statistics.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Hi there
Looking at purchasing a Kia Optima ISG3 1.6 Estate or Saloon, 19 model. My only concern is the fuel consumption what is it like and is there a difference between saloon and estate, any comments would be great to hear
Welcome to the forum, 'Johnr090266'.

You omitted to mention whether you are talking about a manual gearbox car or a DCT. As it happens, driven sensibly, the manual car ought to return better fuel figures than the DCT model but I doubt that there is a huge difference as the DCT is really rather good in terms of economy.

My estate car differs from that of 'Tommo21' in as much as mine is a late 2016 model with the 1.7 litre turbodiesel under the bonnet. Nonetheless, after 21,000 miles, my average fuel consumption recorded after every refuelling is 43 and a bit mpg which I consider to be pretty decent over four winters and three summers. Performance is fair-to-middling at best but allied to the lovely DCT, I find it perfectly adequate.

If my journey profile consisted of less local and more A-road/Motorway use, I'm sure my mpg would be comfortably mid 40s and if the 2020 Optima range was headed to these shores, I would certainly buy the new model so that's how highly I rate the top-of-the-range model. Sadly, KIA, in its wisdom has decided to rationalise its UK range and we will not be acquiring the new model. In Korea and the USA where they love their big saloon cars and wagons, Optimas sell in huge numbers but here in the UK, all that the sheeple seem to demand these days is SUV/Crossover style cars…….."and can I have it in white please?"

If you end up choosing an Optima over other cars, I would seriously recommend that you try to find a GT-Line S model as they are superbly equipped with just about everything most drivers could wish for. I doubt that there would be an enormous difference in asking price between that model and the less well equipped 3 on a 19/69 plate.

I hope that provides a bit of perspective in addition to 'Tommo21's experience in the later 1.6 model.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi there
I have a 2019 optima 3 1.6 crdi dct sport wagon, my average as showing on the dash is 43.8. On a long run it went up to 48

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2018 dct gt line s and have an average 44 from day 1. Have 10000 miles now. Drove to south Germany from Amsterdam and averaged 58, including some exciting autobahn action. I love the car. Recommend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2018 dct gt line s and have an average 44 from day 1. Have 10000 miles now. Drove to south Germany from Amsterdam and averaged 58, including some exciting autobahn action. I love the car. Recommend.
Is yours the 1.6 or 1.7 engine. Mine has just 11000 on the clock. My longest run has been a round trip of 80 miles, not been on a motorway yet as only had it since last dec.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I guess we may well have the same model (and colour - gravity blue) and my cumulative mpg is 45.24 to be precise at a diesel cost of 0.1271p per mile over 10,868 miles.

Best car I have ever owned for sure ( and yes I've had the German "luxury" brands) and just so pleased that I'm not a badge snob otherwise I could never have derived so much pleasure out of a car, an estate car at that!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks all for your comments which have helped in me purchasing my new car, after having an Octavia for 6 years, this is way far the better car, both appearance and performance ??
50071995-E849-496A-9F95-B49ACE0AF43B.jpeg
75EF227D-245B-414D-9048-3E4E82B23B15.jpeg

·
Registered
264 Posts
thanks all for your comments which have helped in me purchasing the car View attachment 6127
I hope you will find like me that this car just keeps on giving!!

After more than a year's ownership, I still have a couple of features I haven't tried yet like the auto hold and self parking!

The front grill on your image is different to mine suggesting that the 2019 models have had a slight facelift. Looks the business but may I respectfully suggest you redact the number plate ID.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts