Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this forum I have a Kia soul tempest automatic and am rather disappointed with the fuel economy on the trip computer I only seem to average 25-28 mpg the car however is only used around town and short trips . Any comments greatly appreciated
I must say i love the car in all other respects

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
it will improve with age...... the diesel takes a good few miles to run in..... but the soul just isnt as economical as the equivalent ford or VW diesel. Also, check the economy by dividing mileage with fuel used. Cos the trip computers can lie a bit...... having said that they usually lie to the positive and quote more mpg rather than less.
Edited by: tempest

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
What with all the hills ,rain,cow muck ,lack of street lights and people who won't wave if your name is Tempest it does not sound like Wales is an ideal place to live !

Just made a bid for a property on the east coast to retire towhere its all flat so I will hopefully get better mpg out there. We have been out to the coast twice this week plus local running about and I have got 49mpg,an increase from the mid 40s I have been getting sometimes.I agree with tempest the Soul is not the most economical car to run but its not to bad,my diesel manual Tempest would not be changed at all.

·
Registered
276 Posts
LOL...........Eyebee, as long as Tempest tells me in plenty of time he's on his way down to give me a chance to pack up and emigrate........

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Taffy 49 said:
LOL...........Eyebee, as long as Tempest tells me in plenty of time he's on his way down to give me a chance to pack up and emigrate........
when your outside and the sun suddenly seems to go in...... it will be me......lol.
Edited by: tempest

·
Registered
276 Posts
Tempest, at 5'4" I can never get a tan with all you big un's about.

On a serious note, how were you treated when you first moved to Wales - as you most probably know, unless you speak Welsh, you can feel really lonley in some parts - happened to me a few times around the country - and I was born here.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
To be honest, i am only about 20 miles inside Wales and i live in a village that is a healthy mix of Welsh and English so we for the most part all get on pretty well. Go a bit further into Wales and the animosity can start occassionally, with the odd threat to "coming home to a real fire"....... But if you integrate yourselves into the community there isnt usually a problem. Something i have learnt and was suprised at - is how little the English realise that some of the Welsh hate them!!!. There is a big rugby following round here and as soon as the English get knocked out - the English then support the Welsh teams..... but not vice versa. My ex neighbour was a famous actor (Meredith Edwards)....he was Welsh and proud of it - and was frankly the nicest man i have ever met!!...so personally i love the place and the outdoors (but not the weather). Its a great place to bring up kids and it feels more at home than Yorkshire ever did.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I toy'd with the idea of an auto, but mpg is very important these days. Thankfully I went for a manual. Even so those figures seem very low for a diesel in what is a small car?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
They are low for a diesel smallish car - thats just how it is. We had one owner post a 57mpg on his first tank and i dont think he has been on since - so it must have been either a fluke or a tank overfill before he got the car which screwed up the figure. Kia/Hyundai now have a new range of aluminium diesels which are filtering thru their range..... the soul will get it eventually - maybe this will make the car properly economical.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's typical just as I have ordered my new diesel! Mind you I'm not sure about alloy engines? All the cars I remember that had alloy engines always seem to suffer with warped heads and leaking gaskets etc? Hopefully they would have sorted that out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts