Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not been 100% convinced that the MPG your doing etc is correct & how much range you have to empty is, But I found out the hard way. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Was driving to my friends on Sunday on the motorway, the low fuel light came on & it's said I had 90 something miles left. I didn't get off the motor way but continued to the next services.
My sat nav said it was a lot less distancethan the range left on the duel computer .
When I was about a couple of miles away from the servicesthe reading was 33 miles to empty & I was in the inside lane doing a steady 70 mph, road wasn't busy so no over taking needed ready to come off .
Anyway at the beginning of the slip road, when the gauge went under 30 miles it turns to _ _ _
( that's normal going by the handbook)
I lost all power & I stopped on the hard shoulder a few feet away from the beginning of the slip road.
I walked up the slip road & got some diesel in a can. As my Kia handbook was still in the lounge, forgot to put it back, when I was reading sizes etc for booking the Chunnel for our trip to France.

I left it for a few minutes after putting the diesel in & it started & then cut out straight away. Left it again for a few minutes & tried again. Left it a bit longer this time & while contemplating calling Kia assist. gave it one more go .It fired up , no noticeable cloud of smoke or anything. Sounded a little bit rough & then I made my way to the services to fill up.

Now my trip was on 488 miles when I came to a stop & I've driven mine to 475 on the trip before filling up & going by the computer I still had at least 29-30 miles left when I stopped .

Going forward
1, I will fill up as soon as I can after the light comes on, I normally never get that low & normally fill up when I get to quarter of a tank.
2, not rely on the computer as it's only a rough estimate
3, have my hand book in the car as there is a pump & bleed nut on the engine to get the air out to resolves this (which I could have done if I had the book)

I've spoken with one my friends who is a car mechanic & he says the only damage I could have caused was to the fuel pumpor run down the battery (which I didn't do as its started) I'm in two minds about contacting Kia to check it over, I'm sure if anything needs doing It won't be covered by the warranty as it was my fault to a degree, but then again it could be fine & they can just stiff me for parts I may not need.

Im still might get in touch with the mechanic at Kia , who's helped me in the past to get a second opnion .

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Firstly the fuel computers arent like speedometers ie they dont have to be within a certain tolerance of accuracy by law. I read a while back that plus or minus 15% accuracy is the usual tolerance with them, which is why the "miles to empty" readout goes blank (usually under 50 miles on other cars) so people dont trust them too much.

The only damage you may have caused is overheating of the fuel pump (the diesel fuel cools it and lubricates it too)..... and as you were driving steadily - i doubt that has happened, cos as soon as you ran out of fuel the engine and therefore the pump stopped.

Edited by: tempest

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive spoken with a few mechanics , including two from Kia,
They both said that even though I didn't vent the air via the correct method , I would not have done any damage , the car won't let you run it dry & it will cut out before . The most damage I could have done was if i repeated to try & turn it over which could have effected the heating pump & drain the battery . but I didn't so glad its sorted now .

They also said that ifI had any problems starting then that wouldshow that something was a miss , but its been starting fine .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts