Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I assumed that it was an electric heating element buried in the screen. ! may be wrong though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is this about front wiper de-icer, or front screen ?

If it is the Front screen then its just the Heater/AC system goes to max fan setting and turns on the AC. All that actually achieves is to de-mist the front screen though.

Did not even know there was a Wiper de-icer.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Wiper de-icer a bit mean IMO, why not give you a full heated windscreen. Fords have been fitting heated front screens to their cars for decades and not just on high spec ones.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If the wiper de-icer is the same as fitted to the Carens, it's simply a couple of heater elements (similar to on the rear screen) that run along the base of the screen where the wiper blades sit when parked. It won't defrost your windscreen but it does free the blades and removes the ice from them.
Richard

·
Registered
290 Posts
davy said:
Wiper de-icer a bit mean IMO, why not give you a full heated windscreen. Fords have been fitting heated front screens to their cars for decades and not just on high spec ones.
I expect someone will tell me if im wrong but i believe Ford have the patent on heated front screens.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
[/QUOTE]I expect someone will tell me if im wrong but i believe Ford have the patent on heated front screens.
[/QUOTE]

You could be right there John.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Did you know you can get a heated front screen for the classic Beetle for £120 plus Vat and you can get them for the G o l f too £175 plus vat.
Its crazy you cant get them as standard fitting on all makes and models that are supplied to GB and Europe. My daughter had a 2000 Ford Puma and it had one and she said it was great on frosty mornings.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
RichieD76 said:
Yet a heated screen for a 2008 passat is £725+VAT. !
Not cheap, the g o l f I was quoting are up to the MK3 and are from Ricky Evans Motorsport.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
john123 said:
davy said:
I expect someone will tell me if im wrong but i believe Ford have the patent on heated front screens.

If they have, nobody told Rover because they have been an option on Land Rovers since about 1960. I have one fitted to my 1972 Range Rover.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
[/QUOTE]

If they have, nobody told Rover because they have been an option on Land Rovers since about 1960. I have one fitted to my 1972 Range Rover.
[/QUOTE]

Oh stop boasting

I had a look on the internet about Ford having the Patent which they will allow it to be used for a nice fee.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
davy said:
Oh stop boasting
Believe me, it's nothing to boast about!

I had a look on the internet about Ford having the Patent which they will allow it to be used for a nice fee.

Ford patented their 'Quickclear' electrically heated screens in the mid 80's, years after electric screens had been available from other manufacturers (including Rover.) However, the heating wires in the Ford screens are wavy, not straight and are claimed to distract the eye less. The wavy wires are what they patented, not the concept of an electrically heated windscreen.

If you don't use the wavy wires, you don't need to pay Ford anything.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyway, to address the OP, the windscreen wiper de-icer is indeed an electrical heater strip embedded in the windscreen near the bottom edge. It will not defrost the whole screen, only the area where the windscreen wipers come to rest.

To activate it, switch on the REAR window demisting heater element, which also activates the demisting heater elements for the wing mirrors and de-icer for the front wipers.

Note windscreen wiper demister is not activated when the front window demister function, which uses the blower, is activated.

The feature is note available on all models. At least in the Sportage range, it's in3+ models only.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
After three years of trying, I suspect that the OP may well have worked it out for himself by now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tim W- thanks, I appreciate your answer, I've looked through the manual and couldn't find the answer but now I know.Edited by: nje

·
Registered
290 Posts
My old diesel Audi had an extra glow plug fitted in the heater system so when you cranked it up to the max it Heated up and helped to defrost the windscreen.
It's wasn't as good as the ford system but it meant I didn't have to scrape the windscreen in the morning.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Find it works well on my Venga on icy mornings, my old rav4 diesel had heater elements in the heater unit, that was brilliant as you had heat after a few minutes.
Keith

1 - 20 of 20 Posts