Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Today the front passanger door on my 2012 Ceed stopped opening. All other doors unlock. Tried using the unlock button on the the key, unlocking using the key manually, and also tried the central locking button inside the car, but neither will unlock that one door.

Anyone come into a similar problem or have any idea of what might be causing it? Just over 100,000 miles on the car now so out of warranty.

Thanks.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Lee

It looks like the Inner Door Panel can be removed with the Door shut

You may need to remove the Passenger Seat for better access

There are some checks you can do on the Locking System

This may not allow the access you need to unlock and open the Door.

An Auto Locksmith may be able to get the Door unlocked without taking it all apart.

·
Super Moderator
3,136 Posts
Given it's nit unlocking or opening with the key. It points to the lock being broken or frozen/ceased up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey both, thanks for the welcome and the info

It looks like the Inner Door Panel can be removed with the Door shut

You may need to remove the Passenger Seat for better access

There are some checks you can do on the Locking System

This may not allow the access you need to unlock and open the Door.
This is great, thanks. Will give it a look over.

An Auto Locksmith may be able to get the Door unlocked without taking it all apart.
Thanks. My only worry here is being able to get the door unlocked, but not being able to lock it again, and having to wait until after Christmas before the local auto-electric garages re-open.

Given it's nit unlocking or opening with the key. It points to the lock being broken or frozen/ceased up.
One thing I forgot to note in the inital post was that when I was unlocking the car, I did hear a slight whinning sound for a second or two coming from that door, which I'm now thinking may have been something failing in the lock, I thought initially the sound may have been from the wing mirror opening, but I'm thinking now perhaps it was lock related.

Most places are closed here now until after Christmas, so I'm thinking I'll live with the door not opening until then and taking it to the auto-electrics garage after Christmas.

Any further info or thoughts as to what exactly could be the issue though is appreciated!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you are thinking of DIY, it may be worth taking the Driver Door apart to see how it is supposed to work and if you could access the locking mechanism.

I had my Colleagues (my old) 2008 Ceed apart to fix the Window Regulator recently.
The Lock on that is screwed in from the Door edge which you currently can't get to.

Sensible to leave until after Christmas. Plenty of room in the Boot for the MiL :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and tips.

I'll leave it till after Christmas and have it looked at, like you said, plenty of room in the back over Christmas ha. Will follow up in here as well when I find out for sure what the cause was.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, just an update.

A few days before Christmas, the passenger door all of a sudden opened. Then, 6 days later, same thing again, front passenger door would not unlock/open. This occured for another 3 days, then all of a sudden, the door opened again. Not quite sure what could be causing it. Any ideas? Just seems to be the one front passenger door.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sounds like you have an intermittent lock. Possibly the Cold Weather is making it worse.
I believe once the Doors are locked, both the Inner and Outer Handles have no effect.
It would make sense to get the Lock Mech replaced once the Passenger Door is unlocked. It is unlikely to get better and could be a real pain to fix if the Passenger Door gets stuck permanently in the Locked position.

A few on Ebay from about £20. It may be worth trying Kia for a Price on a new one.
i.e. 2014 KIA CEED 2012-2017 NSF PASSENGER FRONT LOCK MECHANISM COMPLETE | eBay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts