Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2nd hand 2.2 diesel in Aug 19 with 14900 on the clock at 11 months old, started to get steering wheel judder on braking (not heavy braking). Had wheel tracking and alignment checked but still doing it. At recent 20k service dealership tell me both front brake discs and pads need replacing but they're only warrantied for 12 months so would be a £500 bill.

Understandably I'm not very happy as I drive conservatively the vast majority of the time -with an automatic grarbox engine braking negates the need for aggressive foot braking so I don't understand how the discs can be damaged and need replacing.

Anyone else experienced this? Dealer also trying to scare me into using them to have the pads and discs replaced as 'local garage won't be able to obtain genuine kia parts for this prestige vehicle'

Cheers

NT

·
Registered
312 Posts
I replaced my discs and pads around 20k on my ceed gt. Not impressed with discs lasting 20k so changed for non-oem. Unless they damage other parts, pads/discs are consumable and have no affect on warranty. Far better quality out there for less money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Push the dealer or speak with customer service as this should not be happening on 2 yr old car. You get the judder as the discs are warped if the dealer does a disc run out they should find they are out of stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealership admitted it was unusual but were firm about the warranty, I'll try Kia UK - cheers. BTW that blue is stunning!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good luck, I didn't get anywhere with either dealer or kia ukcs. Wear and tear was quoted for mine which, like natural deformation, is specifically excluded from the warranty.
I hope you get a result but the pessimist in me thinks you might be in for a fight.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Bought a 2nd hand 2.2 diesel in Aug 19 with 14900 on the clock at 11 months old, started to get steering wheel judder on braking (not heavy braking). Had wheel tracking and alignment checked but still doing it. At recent 20k service dealership tell me both front brake discs and pads need replacing but they're only warrantied for 12 months so would be a £500 bill.

Understandably I'm not very happy as I drive conservatively the vast majority of the time -with an automatic grarbox engine braking negates the need for aggressive foot braking so I don't understand how the discs can be damaged and need replacing.

Anyone else experienced this? Dealer also trying to scare me into using them to have the pads and discs replaced as 'local garage won't be able to obtain genuine kia parts for this prestige vehicle'

Cheers

NT

What a crock of s*** from your dealer. The front discs and pads on my optima - a similar sized car lasted nearly 70,000 miles. And the line 'local garage won't be able to obtain genuine kia parts for this prestige vehicle' is just utter rubbish. You'll be able to get discs and pads done anywhere you like - and £500 for the job is just straight up taking the mick. I had mine replaced for £170, I'm sure the discs on the Stinger are bigger but still, that price is a joke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried to order pads and discs from local independent garage I've used a lot in the past and trust and they stated they can't get them (I listened to their phonecall to their supplier), not tried anywhere else yet. Kia customer service haven't bothered to get back to me either.

NT

·
Registered
130 Posts
Apparently these are the correct parts / part numbers:

Front pads KIA (OEM Number 58101J5A55):

Rear Pads (OEM Number 58302J5A55):

Discs (OEM Number 58411J5500; 51712J5500) - Rears are 340mm, fronts are 350mm:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've managed to get a quote of £245 for pads and discs with car being collected from my drive then dropped back afterwards by a local mechanic next friday so half what the dealership wanted.

I have today also finally had a reply from Kia Customer Service:

Thanks for your recent contact and apologies for the delay in responding.

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve experienced an issue with the discs and pads on your Stinger and understand these need to be replaced.

As you may be aware, under the terms of our warranty Kia is liable for the repair or replacement of genuine Kia parts that are defective in material or workmanship.

Our warranty policy does have exclusions which include the replacement of consumable parts such are tyres, brake pads and discs, clutch linings.
For more information on what's covered under your warranty you're able to view this here - Terms and Exclusions: Kia 7 Year Warranty | Kia Motors UK

It’s also important to note that brake pad wear can vary depending on several factors. Some of these factors include; vehicle laden weight, speed, weather conditions, heavy application and, stop start conditions and constant use of brakes. As a result of this it's difficult to determine how long brakes and discs will last.

The only advise I can offer is to approach the selling dealership Vantage (Scarborough) and see if they are able to assist. As it is a second hand car we are unable to determine how it was driven previously.

I’m sorry I was unable to help any further, but if there’s anything else I can help with, please get in touch.

Kind regards
Carl Johnstone
Customer Service Advisor
Kia Motors UK

So not overly surprised with their reply

NT

·
Registered
544 Posts
Typical response from Kia, but at least you're getting them replaced at the price they should be, and not dealer rip off prices.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I agree with the comments from ’smellmet’ on this. Although your diesel version of the Stinger may be the slowest model in the range, it is unlikely that the previous owner would have been a vicar or an elderly member of the WI. Chances are, the previous owner enjoyed giving the car ’some welly’ as that’s what most buyers of Stinger-type vehicles do. That the brakes become problematic at an early age then is no great surprise but it doesn’t follow that you must pay KIA workshop bills for consumable parts that you can have supplied and fitted elsewhere for half the price.

Having a professional job done at a well-regarded independent will not impact on the KIA warranty as KIA wash their hands of warranty cover on what they (probably rightly) refer to as consumable parts after a relatively short timescale.

I hope new discs and pads cure your steering judder.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Unfortunately juddering and excessive pad wear is almost always caused by driver behaviour, rather than any kind of manufacturing defect.

What can happen is that if you "sit hard" on the brakes after a hot stop, an amount of pad material bonds itself to the disc, which also cools unevenly.

Do this a few times, and you end up with a fractionally uneven disc surface which the pads bounce off, causing the judder and higher pad wear. With continued gentle braking, this just never fixes itself. It just gets worse, with the bump getting larger, and the landing zone more depressed.

I know some people that have tried to "fix" the early onset of this with a series of hard stops on a deserted motorway from 70mph. I'm not sure this helped anyone significantly, but it might be worth a try if the pads are still good and you have a deserted runway nearby that you can use :)

Having the disk skimmed is a better solution, if you can find a company that will do this for you, assuming things have not become too bad.

With the new discs and pads, do not rest too firmly on the brakes after a hard stop. If possible, drop it into neutral and just rest very gently on the brakes until the lights start to change. And if this wasn't possible, don't be afraid of some moderate to heavy braking at speed to flatten things off again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts